• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Faerunian Kobolds

atomn

Explorer
Is there any source for general information on kobolds (how people view them, culture, regions, etc.) in the Forgotten Realms setting? Or are they just as they appear in the Monster Manual? Thanks!

edbonny

Explorer
Dragon #349 has a Hordelands article mentioning the ancient Kobold empire of Zexthandrim, their subjugation under the Imaskar and their destruction by said Imaskar. The koboldy ruins of Zexthandrim are guarded over by the secret gnomish kingdom of Songfarla.

And you thought kobolds couldn't have empires!

Voadam

Legend
I thought I read from a product blurb that one of the 2e Elminster Ecologies has some stuff on kobolds. Some are available as free pdf downloads at the www.wizards.com site in the D&D downloads-previous editions section.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
edbonny said:
Dragon #349 has a Hordelands article mentioning the ancient Kobold empire of Zexthandrim, their subjugation under the Imaskar and their destruction by said Imaskar. The koboldy ruins of Zexthandrim are guarded over by the secret gnomish kingdom of Songfarla.

Lawful sorcerers with a dragon fetish and a love of scary dangerous fortifications? They sound like excellent candidates for empires to me.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
edbonny said:

Sure they can't. If they try, they will be enslaved and killed by humans, and their land is taken over by gnomes! :p Happened to all kobold empires on Faerûn I ever heard of!

ericlboyd

Explorer
The only extensive discussion of kobolds in Faerun is a 1 page article by Ed Greenwood that appeared in Dragon magazine circa #200 - #210. It was part of the short-lived "Elminster's Notes" series.

--Eric

atomn

Explorer
Xer0 said:
I would love to know why you're asking about Faerun's kobolds....

I'm going to try my hand at a kobold in a FR game and wanted to see if there was any campaign-specific info I should know ahead of time.

Remove ads