Fall '03 Iron DM Tournament -- Wulf Ratbane is Iron DM!

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Sixteen could drag, but the folks here seem pretty motivated. It is up to the judge to keep things moving. The danger with sixteen would be moving it so fast that some of the sixteen can't keep up, flake out, and then there are no alternates.

But assuming all goes well, it's only one extra match for the people at the top of the bracket. (That's you, isn't it, nemm?)

There isn't really any more waiting around involved provided the judge can process the entries. It's invisible to the folks in bracket A what the folks in bracket B are doing, if they are run concurrently.

Two big benefits: (1) twice as many adventures in this thread when it's all done (for the loyal readers), and (2) I get to play. ;)

Wulf

Nifft

Penguin Herder
16's fine with me, but could be a logistical issue for you, Pie.

-- N, ready to go now if someone else is up for it

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
If we end up doing sixteen contestants, I'll do simultaneous rounds, even though I don't like them as a reader. Otherwise, I think it's handleable to do one round per day: it's easier on the reader, and still enables us to finish the tournament in as little as one week, if schedules work out.

edit: just so it's clear, it seems very unlikely to me we'll do sixteen contestants, given that several current contestants have said they want it to be limited to eight, and I'll only do it if I get unanimous consent from those eight to make a change.

Daniel

Last edited:

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Ok, no problem.

I guess my thought with 16 was that, with so many folks ready to go right now, you could process the first round pretty fast and whittle back down to 8 in a jiffy.

As it turns out, Daniel is not the Iron Ref I was looking for-- in fact, at one entry a day, he's running slower than most. :p

But it's no big deal, I've fought for the integrity of the setup before. Eight is fine-- keeps it special. As much as I want to play I wouldn't recommend an alternate bracket/thread or anything like that.

I can wait a few months for another. Gotta set my computer clock forward 4 minutes, apparently...

Wulf

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
If we do 16 and simultaneous rounds - why not ask contenders to pre-create posts for their entries and then email you their entries before editing the post to add the entry - thus you know when it was really completed by and the thread is still neat. . . and/or stagger them so entries will tend to come in 6 hours after each other.

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Wulf Ratbane said:
As it turns out, Daniel is not the Iron Ref I was looking for-- in fact, at one entry a day, he's running slower than most. :p
Hey, I look out for my readers. Ideally, I'd like to see the contest thread have the following posts in sequence:
* Judge gives out ingredients
* Entry #1
* Entry #2
* Judgement

with nothing in between. The only way I can see doing that, however, would be to set up another thread in which I reposted everything and nobody else posted anything; if I did that, then I could do simultaneous rounds. The pace isn't my limitation -- it's my confusion as a reader.

Daniel

cool hand luke

First Post
I can't go today, but any day after this should be fine.

I would like to see a 12 person tourny, with the previous 4 winners getting byes.

16 is fine with me, I need the practice.

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Nem, that's an intriguing suggestion. It does open up the whole editing can of worms, though.

Staggering entries could also work. If we do that, I'd need to ask people not to post their entry too early, though: if I schedule a simultaneous round to begin at 5 pm EDT tonight, for example, the folks in that round would just need to make sure not to post their entry before 12:28 pm EDT tomorrow, so as not to have their entries interspersed with y'all's.

Daniel

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Pielorinho said:
The only way I can see doing that, however, would be to set up another thread in which I reposted everything and nobody else posted anything.

The moderatus emeritus can always delete intervening posts and tidy up the thread.

As for timing the entries, some entrants are faster than others, some like to post right at the wire. I don't see that "All entries should be posted by 12:00 PM EST" is all that different than "All entries must be posted between 6:00 and 12:00 PM EST."

It may make scheduling a bit trickier for some folks, if they only have computer access during a certain timeframe.

Wulf

Last edited:

Macbeth

First Post
Wow, go to Chem class for an hour and suddenly the old thread has two more pages, and this new thread is open. Just finished getting up to speed, glad to see I'm in, and I'm ready for a matchup.

Remove ads