Fall '03 Iron DM Tournament -- Wulf Ratbane is Iron DM!

Berandor

lunatic
Just to weigh in on that issue, I wouldn't want 16 players.
Now, don't get me wrong, I would totally play if it came to that, but I think our most noble and gracious judge is right: a clear posting format is preferable to more players.

Likewise, staggered entries would still lead to either confusion in posts or problematic scheduling because of the different time zones we are in.

As I said, I would still enter, but solely because I simply want to play. As it stands, I'd rather wait till next year and enjoy this year's competition without any confusion.

Also, perhaps my luck would change and nemmerle would totally lose against me? That wouldn't be fun, would it? :D

Rune

Once A Fool
Let me be clear about my position on the 16 vs. 8 person tourney...

If you run rounds simultaneously, I'm all for 16, but I'd like to point out that it does add another round of judging, which can be a real drain, especially on the folk who make it all the way through.

I've done four rounds before, and it's very tough, but then, so have you.

On the other hand, toughness is what the tournament is all about, no?

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
At this point, I think I'm going to rule out both simultaneous matchups and a 16-person round. I would definitely consider both for the next tournament I run, and kind of wish I'd suggestd a 16-person match to begin with, but I think trying to change the format for the game after it's already started is begging for confusion.

I do have plenty of ingredients left over -- almost 120 ingredients, when I only need 42 -- so if there's any interest in a side tournament or something, I'll be glad to do that. But for now, I think this tournament's rules are finalized.

Daniel

Rune

Once A Fool
Wulf Ratbane said:
The moderatus emeritus can always delete intervening posts and tidy up the thread.

As for timing the entries, some entrants are faster than others, some like to post right at the wire. I don't see that "All entries should be posted by 12:00 PM EST" is all that different than "All entries must be posted between 6:00 and 12:00 PM EST."

It may make scheduling a bit trickier for some folks, if they only have computer access during a certain timeframe.

Wulf

But scheduling is a big deal. I will not (for instance), under any circumstances, be able to post any later than about 4:30 EST, nor earlier than 8:00. Nor will I be able to post on Saturdays or Sundays. I'm fine with not having 24 hours to do an entry, but I've got to have some flexibility to post within.

MerakSpielman

First Post
I'm not playing, but I say you should keep it limited to 8. If you expand it, then you have to find more alternates, and frankly it will just be TOO MUCH. Iron DM (reading or playing) is like candy. You want as much as possible, but you really shouldn't be allowed. Having 8 contestents adds up to 14 different entries that have to be judged, and that should really be more than enough.

Also, if we have 16 people, there will be 30 total entries. I can't help but think that the quality (and bastard-ness) of the judging would suffer, if not from time constraints and cutting corners, then from boredom after doing the first 20 or so entries.

Last edited:

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Crap!
Crap crap crap crap crap!

I completely messed up. One of the ingredients in the first round was supposed to be, in honor of Nem's request,

A Bye

What's the fun of being a rat-bastard if you forget about your rat-bastard plans?

Sheesh.
Daniel

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Pielorinho said:
Crap!
Crap crap crap crap crap!

I completely messed up. One of the ingredients in the first round was supposed to be, in honor of Nem's request,

A Bye

What's the fun of being a rat-bastard if you forget about your rat-bastard plans?

Sheesh.
Daniel

Uh, is that being officially added? Because I uh, am almost done with my entry :(

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
No, I'm not adding it -- I'm just kicking myself for not adding it when I had a chance.

Just to be perfectly clear, even if it appears in either entry, I won't take it into consideration when judging. I just wanted a chance to poke at Nem is all.

Daniel

Dave Turner

First Post
nemmerle said:
Uh, is that being officially added? Because I uh, am almost done with my entry :(
LOL, I'm still brainstorming my entry. I'm keen to see your results, "Goliath". ;)

EDIT: changed "the" to "your" in second sentence.

Last edited:

Remove ads