Fallen World- 13th lvl homebrew (dark and mature)

Nephtys

First Post
[sblock=Dire Lemming]
That could work, and there are plenty of other spirits in the world (Though many have been eaten by demons).
If you want to play relatively soon we can introduce your character in Cel-Candon, though we should keep it secret from the other players. We can even play a brief solo-game in sblocks on this page until you meet the others, if you want. When, and if, your character and the party meet you should write your posts as sblocks here and I will post them in the IC-thread, that makes the party's reaction to you more natural than if they know you are a new PC. ;)[/sblock]

Dire Lemming

First Post
[sblock=Nephtys] I'd love to come in in Cel-Candon. I don't think I could finish my character quickly enough though... I have allot of trouble creating characters above first level. Especially their equipment lists. If you don't have the spirit shaman class info you can find it on Crystal Keep. If you do, I could use any help you can give in making my character faster.

Also, can my character get things from the book of exalted deeds? Seems appropriate for an enemy of a demon ruled empire.

Uh, what's a good age for a 13th level elf? I thought they were supposed to live for about 1000 years but I just realized when I looked it up that it's less than half of that.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Nephtys

First Post
Dire Lemming said:
[sblock=Nephtys] I'd love to come in in Cel-Candon. I don't think I could finish my character quickly enough though... I have allot of trouble creating characters above first level. Especially their equipment lists. If you don't have the spirit shaman class info you can find it on Crystal Keep. If you do, I could use any help you can give in making my character faster.

Also, can my character get things from the book of exalted deeds? Seems appropriate for an enemy of a demon ruled empire.

Uh, what's a good age for a 13th level elf? I thought they were supposed to live for about 1000 years but I just realized when I looked it up that it's less than half of that.[/sblock]
[sblock=Dire Lemming]
Do you have any specific questions about creating the character? If you go with just one class it should be pretty simple, but it's harder for you if you want to use a lot of feats and items from different sources. I usually rely mostly on the SRD when I create my characters, it's just more convenient to have everything in one place.

Some things from the BED could be ok, but nothing that's too extreme. If your character is too fanatically Good and unwilling to make any compromises with the "real world" (that is dark and ruled by evil and cruelty) he's not likely to survive for long outside Cel Candon. There are two good-aligned characters in the party so being good is not necessarily a problem, but being exalted can be.

Your age can be anything, it depends what ability-penalties and -bonuses you want. A venerable elf can be a very powerful spellcaster, but most would probably feel that the physical weakness was too great a trade-off. It's up to you. Really, you're not likely to die of old age within the span of the game anyway ;)[/sblock]

Dire Lemming

First Post
[sblock=Nephtys]I guess he'll be 140. That seems reasonable while still keeping within the young range. It's not like he'll survive for a whole year anyway if the game even lasts that long. :heh:

I haven't really read the BoED that much. I just think this one feat that allows you to make your spells and stuff deal nonlethal damage would work well for a character who has figured that if the demons need mortal souls then killing people is just helping the demons. Do I need to be fanatically good to use feats like that? (isn't "fanatically good" kind of an oxymoron too?)

I'm not really sure what you can do to help me specifically. I'm just very slow at creating characters compared to other people. I have ADD, and I think that may have allot to do with it. I do other not particularly fun things really slowly as well. :confused:

Also, how should I determine HP and Ability Scores?[/sblock]

Last edited:

Nephtys

First Post
Hps and ability scores, as well as some other information, is in the ooc thread, but it's hidden well so I'll dig it up for you.

13th level, standard wealth, SRD 3,5 (if you want to use other sources you'll have to show me the rules).
32 point-buy, HPs roll dice or at least half (if you roll less than half of your maximum total hitpoints you get you get half rounded up), full at lvl1.

[sblock=DL]The feat sounds ok, I'll even remove the exalted prerequisite to give your character some more flexibility.[/sblock]

Dire Lemming

First Post
[sblock=Nephtys]I looked it up and it's actually metamagic, so I don't need to be exalted to use it, but thanks for the thought. :heh:

Here's a description of Some Feats I'm interested in.

Purify Spell [Metamagic]
Prerequisite: Any good alignment
Any spell modified with this feat gains the good descriptor. If the spell does damage, neutral creatures take half damage, or one fourth if their save against the spell succeeds. Good creatures take no damage. Evil Outsiders take extra damage. The spell's damage is increased by one die type as per increased damage based on weapon size. (e.g. 1d6 increases to 1d8, 1d8 to 2d6, etc.) It uses up a spell slot one level higher.

Nonlethal Substitution [Metamagic]
Prerequisite: Any other metamagic Feat, Knowledge arcana 5 ranks
Basically it allows you to make damaging spells deal non-lethal damage. It doesn't increase the spell slot level.

There's an odd bit at the beginning that says to chose one type of energy and then you can modify a spell using that type of energy to deal nonlethal damage instead of energy damage. I'm not sure what that means though. It kind of sounds like you need to chose it when you choose the feat, but the wording is anything but clear.

You can probably find both of those feats on Crystal Keep.

Here's my HP. It's less than Ysande. :\ http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1446057/

So um... I'm trying to come up with a background for my character besides, "Good Elven Spirit Shaman in Cel Candon that doesn't like the demonic rulers of the world and figures that one way to weaken them is to deprive them of souls by avoiding killing people." But I don't really know much of anything about the elves or Cel Candon[/sblock]

Last edited:

Dire Lemming

First Post
[sblock=Nephtys] Hey, could I have Caduceus, the intelligent staff of healing? :) Actually, I don't know how much money I get at this level. Guess I ought to check.

Ok, here's my character sheet so far. Also, Caduceus is about 32,000 gp.

Name:
Race: Elf
Alignment: NG
Class: Spirit Shaman 13

Str: 10
Dex: 12 (+1)
Con: 10
Int: 14 (+2) level 4 increase
Wis: 19 (+4) level 8 & 12 increase
Cha: 14 (+2)

HP: 62
Speed: 30 ft
BAB: +9/+4
AC:
Initiative: +1

Fort: +8 (Base +8)
Ref: +5 (Base +4, Dex +1)
Will: +12 (Base +8, Wis +4)

Attacks:

Skills:
Concentration +16
Craft (Drawing) +18 (16 ranks, Int +2)
Diplomacy +18 (16 ranks, Cha +2)
Heal +23 (16 ranks, Wis+4, Misc+3)
Knowledge (Arcana) +10 (8 ranks, Int +2)
Listen +15 (9 ranks, Wis +4, Mist +2)
Search +4 (Int +2, Misc +2)
Spot +15 (9 ranks, Wis +4, Misc +2)

Feats:
Purify Spell
Combat Casting
Nonlethal Substitution.
Silent Spell
Skill Focus: Heal

Languages:
Common
Elven
Abyssal

Equipment:
110,000 gp
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Nephtys

First Post
Happy new year! :)

[sblock=Dire Lemming]
It all looks good to me (though I admit I haven't been over the math with a microscope). The feats are good, the staff is ok (if it's "incessant chatting" is kept to a reasonable level) and I can help you a bit with the background.

One thing worth remembering is that the party currently is working for the local demonlord on a mission that is likely to cause the destruction of Cel-Candon (your new home). Your character doesn't know this, but it's a pretty reasonable assumption to make. And it's not at all certain that you will be able to disuade the party from its quest, since they all have their own reasons to be loyal to their current mistress. If you cannot change their actions and will not surrender your home you may even be forced to a confrontation with them. I don't mind that at all, and I'll make sure that you'll be able to pose a threat to them if you act wisely. You'll be eachothers NPCs, so to speak, and that could be a lot of fun. But that's not set in stone, it's up to your RP-ing how you handle the situation.

Cel-Candon is one of the last remnants of an ancient and powerful elven civilisation (the information the party learned before entering is well known to you). Your people, highly cultured, a bit decadent, ancient, wise, formerly mighty and adamantly arrogant, have long ago lost their innocense. They have done great deeds, won heroic victories in just wars, healed the world from the edge of universal death to a lush paradise (that has now been despoiled), been the leaders of magic, science and biologic engineering for most of the worlds recorded history. But none of that has come without a price. Long before the demons invaded the scene your people's main source of power was the consumtion of souls and life energy for spellcasting, magic item production and especially epic spells. Since soul-energy was always by far the most cost-efficient source of usable XP your ancestors simply had no choice but to use it or face extinction from foreign elves, humans or other civilised races who also developed similar forms of magic. But none of them were as skilled as your people. Even as your ancestors exterminated all but the faintest of traces of the lesser humanoids on the western continent they still justified their actions by their innate moral superiority and their gods-given destiny of greatness. They were not Good, by any other standards than their own. But they never really cared what others thought of them.

The demonic invasion changed much. The elven civilisation of Cel Candon was already in decline and fell at horrifying speed to the chocking display of awesome demonic power. The elves fought back fiercely, and enjoyed a handful of victories, but were soon washed away by the tide. Only in Cel Candon, the fortress-capital of their continental empire and a handful of other enclaves (protected from direct demonic attack by a strange magical radiation that prevented the entrance of extra-planars) did the elves hold out for a time before most of them too fell to the demons slaves and allies. Cel-Candon became a ruin, haunted by ghosts and shadows, hiding great treasures that few knew still existed.

Recently the people of an elven enclave, under the leadership of the epic, legendary and mysterious arcane spellcaster The Queen of Autumn allied themselves with a tribe of Duergar who were rumoured to posess an artifact that could ward against the undead. Trough impressive diplomacy and common enemies the two peoples joined together and transported themselves to Cel Candon. In a brilliant, lightning quick strike the Queen of Autumn and her elite cadre defeated the two liches Yangava had made the guardians of her Cel-Candon. While battle raged in the heart of the underground fortress around them the dwarven arch-clerics began their ritual to activate the artifact to drive the undead away. For every passing second the defenders seemed to become stronger and the attacking mortals dropped like flies and rose again against their allies. Only a few hundred remained when the clerics completed their ritual and conquered the city. Ever since then they have been maintaining the ritual to keep the artifact at work in the heart of the fortress as their minions and distrusted allies search for the treasures that brought them there.[/sblock]

Dire Lemming

First Post
Happy new year to you to.
[sblock=Nephtys]Alright. Hey, I just realized I've got one more language I can learn. I guess it'll be undercommon.

So, I figure he has issues with his ancestor's soul sucking thing, since it so closely resembles what the demons are doing to the humans. He's looked at it from the outside, and realized that the only thing that makes them any better is the fact that they didn't automatically take the souls of all that died in the entire world. Which means pretty much nothing. So he's lost a bit of his arrogance and bigotry because of that.

I'm not sure how a spirit shaman fits into this, but I suppose it's got something to do with distaste for the ancestral methods, or something. How do you think he'd be able to become a Spirit Shaman?[/sblock]

Nephtys

First Post
[sblock=DL]Well, Spirit Shamanism is pretty close to Soul-magic, and being an elf he has a natural connection to nature. I don't really see a problem.[/sblock]

Remove ads