• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fallen World- 13th lvl homebrew (dark and mature)

Bloosquig

First Post
Hmm I'm a lot more concerned about the con damage then taking a little hp damage from friendly aoe. Big at least has various self healing means at his disposal and though I don't have the spell lists handy at the moment it seemed the party had some decent healing in reserve.

A good question though is are more stirges coming up from the crack? I thought the whole swarm was already attacking. If there are more coming then we'll be in deep trouble real fast. :\

Autumn

First Post
Decent healing yes, but bear in mind that when characters are heavily con-drained it's not hard to one-shot them with AoE. Kaj for instance has 18 hp right now despite not having taken any hit point damage... though he at least has Evasion to potentially help him out. Though maybe if he avoids the blast through evasion, so do any Stirges still stuck on him. :uhoh:

Nephtys

First Post
It looks like Kaj took care of most of the Stirges in the crack with his Unholy Blight so the biggest problem are the stirges already attached and those swarming around looking for a good place to land.
A fireball could kill Kaj or William, but Kaj would have to be pretty unlucky considering his fire-resistance (he'd have to take 33 HPs of damage to get to -10 HPs). If you wait with the blasting until next round a lot you will have very few HPs left.

Jemal

Adventurer
ARGH! I apologize again, guys, after my last posts about 2 weeks ago I headed back out to work and once I arrived realized that we weren't connected. I've finally managed to gain net access again, so I'll be trying (Once more) to catch up on everything.

I'll try tonight to save William's butt.

Nephtys

First Post
I have a hard time setting the challenge-level for the stirge-encounter (since I used a homebrewed Stirge, and I never exactly specified how many there were :heh: ), so I'm asking you how hard do you think it was?
It could easily have been a tpk, or it could have been like shooting fish in a barrel (with fireballs), all depending on a few lucky rolls of the die. They were frail, but all together they could do a lot of damage.
So, eh, how much XP do you think you deserve? :p

Dire Lemming

First Post
Ahah, found it! I look forward towards making the world a bit less craptacular!

Now I have to tell you that I'm rather slow at making higher level characters, especially where Equipment is involved. So any assistance anyone can give would be greatly appreciated. I've got to refresh myself on the setting before I can do much, but for now, how about a tentative suggestion of an Elven Spirit Shaman? I don't know how those fit into the setting, though with their innate raise dead ability and stuff... I don't know allot of the classes the other characters are, so maybe someone could give me an idea of the basic archetypes?

It's also be interesting to try playing an outsider. I'm a big Planescape fan see.

Jemal

Adventurer
*A month late, but nevertheless*
An encounter that had equal chances of being nothing and TPKing, and in reality forced a nights rest.. I'd say the XP on this HAS to be ad-hoc. As you said, Fireball makes it easy if it works, so a single 6th lvl mage COULD have beat it. On the other hand, a Higher level party could've been dropped by this just as easily as us.
Therefore, I would've just said whenever something like THAT happens, instead of trying to place a specific CR on the creature/encounter, give it XP equivalent to that of defeating an equal level (or 1/2 higher) Challenge.

Nephtys

First Post
Dire Lemming said:
Ahah, found it! I look forward towards making the world a bit less craptacular!

Now I have to tell you that I'm rather slow at making higher level characters, especially where Equipment is involved. So any assistance anyone can give would be greatly appreciated. I've got to refresh myself on the setting before I can do much, but for now, how about a tentative suggestion of an Elven Spirit Shaman? I don't know how those fit into the setting, though with their innate raise dead ability and stuff... I don't know allot of the classes the other characters are, so maybe someone could give me an idea of the basic archetypes?

It's also be interesting to try playing an outsider. I'm a big Planescape fan see.

Raise Dead is a bit problematic in this setting, since all souls go directly to the Demonlords at death and they are not likely to release them to anyone but their slaves and most valued and trusted servants (and demons seldom value or trust anyone). Very few people return from death that way, and noone does it entirely unchanged. In order to raise someone from the dead without going trough the demonlords you pretty much have to do it in the same round and the same initiative as the subject dies (by a readied action or plain luck). Undeath is fairly common, but most undead-to-be souls pass trough and are tainted by the hands of the demonlords. Of course, there are many undead who are far older than the demonic rule of the world, and they are not that different from the norm.

Outsiders would probably have to be some sort of demon, or demonspawn. All other outsiders would likely be attacked at sight be any powerful demons they encounter (even non-opposed outsiders like elementals and such). The demons consider the world their posession, they have to acccept the existance of mortals because they need their souls for sustenance and power, but any outsider would be regarded as a threat to their whole world-disorder. A demonic character would have some unique problems of their own, and will be unable to enter certain areas ("enclaves" and other areas with unusual magical raditation) and be greatly weakened in others.

The game is set in the planescape multiverse, but with all planestravel cut off for millennia that's of little practical relevance to the game.

Jemal said:
*A month late, but nevertheless*
An encounter that had equal chances of being nothing and TPKing, and in reality forced a nights rest.. I'd say the XP on this HAS to be ad-hoc. As you said, Fireball makes it easy if it works, so a single 6th lvl mage COULD have beat it. On the other hand, a Higher level party could've been dropped by this just as easily as us.
Therefore, I would've just said whenever something like THAT happens, instead of trying to place a specific CR on the creature/encounter, give it XP equivalent to that of defeating an equal level (or 1/2 higher) Challenge.

Good point. Thanks.

Last edited:

Dire Lemming

First Post
Actually, the Spirit Shaman's Recall Spirit ability is a once per week Spell-Like Ability that can raise dead without level loss, but must be used within one round of death. So no problem there. It's a bit like magic CPR that works on all conventional wounds.

Last edited:

Remove ads