Trailer Fallout - Official Trailer

Kaodi

Hero
Given the hyperviolent nature of the show and the actual, physical challenges of employing child actors maybe they just decided against it.

Anyway it occurred to me that it is kinda weird that
Maximus does not understand sex given that in the East Coast Brotherhood Elder Lyons literally had a daughter. Veronica also talks about the the her part of the West Coast Brotherhood being a family which I kind of took to be at least partially literal.

pukunui

Legend
Given the hyperviolent nature of the show and the actual, physical challenges of employing child actors maybe they just decided against it.
I figured they might just have them in the background more. I did spot one instance actually: when Norm and Chet return from Vault 32, there's a kid sitting at one of the picnic tables, and the subtitles read "[children chattering]" at that point.

Also, a thought about Betty: when Norm asks her what happened to his mom's pip-boy, and she replies, "I buried her myself. Me and your father." At first I thought she was lying, but then I realized - she must mean that she helped Hank destroy Shady Sands.

A further thought about Moldaver: In the animated portion of the ep 5 credits, we see a book about the NCR written by "Lee Williams" in the Shady Sands school locker. This implies to me that Moldaver has been active on the surface for some time and may have been involved in the founding of the NCR. And yet to me, she really doesn't look much older in the current time period than she did in the pre-war flashbacks. So while she may have been cryogenically frozen for at least some of the intervening 200 years, I feel like she must have had some other means of extending her life.

Anyway it occurred to me that it is kinda weird that
Maximus does not understand sex given that in the East Coast Brotherhood Elder Lyons literally had a daughter. Veronica also talks about the the her part of the West Coast Brotherhood being a family which I kind of took to be at least partially literal.
Yeah, that bit was kinda weird. I think maybe the writers just intended it to show how isolated Maximus was from the rest of the Brotherhood recruits. If he'd been more accepted into their ranks instead of being bullied, I'm sure he would have learned a thing or two ... maybe even from that guy who is masturbating in a nearby bunk when Dane returns as a squire.

Zardnaar

Legend
I figured they might just have them in the background more. I did spot one instance actually: when Norm and Chet return from Vault 32, there's a kid sitting at one of the picnic tables, and the subtitles read "[children chattering]" at that point.

Also, a thought about Betty: when Norm asks her what happened to his mom's pip-boy, and she replies, "I buried her myself. Me and your father." At first I thought she was lying, but then I realized - she must mean that she helped Hank destroy Shady Sands.

A further thought about Moldaver: In the animated portion of the ep 5 credits, we see a book about the NCR written by "Lee Williams" in the Shady Sands school locker. This implies to me that Moldaver has been active on the surface for some time and may have been involved in the founding of the NCR. And yet to me, she really doesn't look much older in the current time period than she did in the pre-war flashbacks. So while she may have been cryogenically frozen for at least some of the intervening 200 years, I feel like she must have had some other means of extending her life.

Yeah, that bit was kinda weird. I think maybe the writers just intended it to show how isolated Maximus was from the rest of the Brotherhood recruits. If he'd been more accepted into their ranks instead of being bullied, I'm sure he would have learned a thing or two ... maybe even from that guy who is masturbating in a nearby bunk when Dane returns as a squire.

Cybernetics can extend your life in FO.

Zardnaar

Legend
OK. She didn't look like she had any. Just one of the mysteries of the show, I guess, like how Wilzig knew Lucy's name or who actually cleaned up Vault 32.

They're not obvious you can't tell externally.

I don't think she has them as it was Institute technology. East coast though.

OK. She didn't look like she had any. Just one of the mysteries of the show, I guess, like how Wilzig knew Lucy's name or who actually cleaned up Vault 32.
Still fairly sure Hank or someone said something like "You know how there are things you can eat which makes you healthy or ill, well there are things which can make you live longer too" - dammit I'm going to have to rewatch the show with a notepad aren't I lol?

I notice they barely showed the massively powerful and addictive drugs available in the setting - just one of the raiders using Jet or something. I could see Lucy or Maximus getting involved with those, or Norm actually.

I was actually specifically going to ask you about that Shady Sands timeline conversation. And you say that nothing in New Vegas is retconned. I think the rub, to kind of TLDR it, is that "The Fall of Shady Sands" happens in 2277, which is four years before New Vegas. So are people just misunderstanding what "The Fall of Shady Sands" means or something like that?

Howard
: All I can say is we're threading it tighter there, but the bomb falls just after the events of New Vegas. That's when Shady Sands blows.

So basically, "The Fall of Shady Sands," it doesn't mean a nuke, necessarily?

Howard
: Correct.

I'm curious how you guys see the NCR as it stands now. Is it demolished or is it kind of more like the Minutemen where it's just fractured?

Howard
: One of the takes that we always have is to approach things very locally when we're doing Fallout. We're careful about saying what's going on in other parts of the world. And we always take this view of, communication is difficult. And look, if you look at the background, the NCR is a wide-ranging sort of organization and group across not just California, but other places. So the show focuses on this period of time and this group here, and that's what we can say right now. But I don't think you've heard the last of the NCR.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend

I was actually specifically going to ask you about that Shady Sands timeline conversation. And you say that nothing in New Vegas is retconned. I think the rub, to kind of TLDR it, is that "The Fall of Shady Sands" happens in 2277, which is four years before New Vegas. So are people just misunderstanding what "The Fall of Shady Sands" means or something like that?

Howard
: All I can say is we're threading it tighter there, but the bomb falls just after the events of New Vegas. That's when Shady Sands blows.

Howard

I'm curious how you guys see the NCR as it stands now. Is it demolished or is it kind of more like the Minutemen where it's just fractured?

Howard
: One of the takes that we always have is to approach things very locally when we're doing Fallout. We're careful about saying what's going on in other parts of the world. And we always take this view of, communication is difficult. And look, if you look at the background, the NCR is a wide-ranging sort of organization and group across not just California, but other places. So the show focuses on this period of time and this group here, and that's what we can say right now. But I don't think you've heard the last of the NCR.

The board is a bit ambiguous.

I'm not to worried until season 2.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Howard: One of the takes that we always have is to approach things very locally when we're doing Fallout.
thor-really.gif

Howard

Howard

Howard
I call bollocks on Todd. It's a safe bet.

They previously said it was an error.

Todd Howard, who let us all be clear - is a notorious confabulator* of the Baron Munchausen-esque kind - is probably just making this up on the spot as a bit of totally unnecessary CYA, because the man is profoundly disconnected from reality. Realistically, it was an error and nobody sane cared. They could either choose to address that head-on like normal developers, or they can try and convince the writers on Fallout that they need to write the next seasons so "The Fall of Shady Sands" definitely doesn't mean "Shady Sands got nuked", even though it clearly did, and the plot doesn't really make sense if Shady Sands already "fell" in any meaningful sense (and not just of NV, but also of the Fallout TV show). The problem they have is this "fall", completely unmentioned in NV, has to be so extreme that it would be a historical event known about by everyone from Shady Sands. So it can't be anything subtle. Which is a mismatch with NV, where there's no indication of trouble in Shady Sands, even though it's set in 2281, four years after the "fall". Doing all this CYA nonsense instead of saying "It was a typo" is just Streisand shenanigans, but it's very Bethesda.

Also "the NCR is a wide-ranging sort of organization and group across not just California, but other places" that's another use for that GIF! Not really though, Todd!

What we know is that the NCR occupied part of California, apparently got as far south as LA, and got as far East as the Nevada/Arizona border, which is where the Hoover dam is - but definitely as of NV, they wouldn't have got any further East than that. And if they got nuked months after NV, then even the "NCR wins" scenario is the right one (which seems unlikely for previously discussed reasons). I guess we might think they went as far North as Oregon, but where else? I wondering if Todd even understands the geography of America at this point!

* = Anyone who follows Bethesda games should know this very well.

Remove ads