• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Familiar - D&D 4e combat tracking program for DMs

Thale

First Post
New version available!

Hi, all.

Just thought I'd let you know that a new version of Familiar is available from the website: Home (Familiar). Please try it out and let me know what you think.

Raj

lexoanvil

First Post
im very impressed by this software. while i have yet to really use a combat tracker in the past, i normally use pen and paper scribble notes. i will be using this software in my next game. i really like how well it interfaces with the character builder and its ease of use. do you have any plans to integrate the adventure tools software for custom monster stats at any point?

Jools

First Post
Good on you for putting all that work into this, I hope it turns into masterpiece. Saying that however, you do have competition from Combat Tracker. Which is absolutely fantastic. Theres a huge thread about it here. Good luck though, nothing wrong with a bit of competition. I couldn't get it to work btw on my monitor which seems to be too low rez for your app. The left and right most parts of the window are not visible, even if I move or resize the window.

Thale

First Post
im very impressed by this software. while i have yet to really use a combat tracker in the past, i normally use pen and paper scribble notes. i will be using this software in my next game. i really like how well it interfaces with the character builder and its ease of use. do you have any plans to integrate the adventure tools software for custom monster stats at any point?
Thanks, lexoanvil. Glad you find it useful for your game.

Eventually, I do want to add custom monster functionality. At present, you can manually input basic stats for custom monsters, but you don't get a stat block. Thanks for the input. I will add it to my list of upcoming features.

Thale

First Post
Wow! This is great. I just downloaded, installed, and played around a little bit. This is GREAT! I can't wait to put this to use. Great job! I really love it.
Thanks, filthgrinder! Let me know if you have any feedback regarding improvements or new features you'd like to see added.

Thale

First Post
Good on you for putting all that work into this, I hope it turns into masterpiece. Saying that however, you do have competition from Combat Tracker. Which is absolutely fantastic. Theres a huge thread about it here. Good luck though, nothing wrong with a bit of competition. I couldn't get it to work btw on my monitor which seems to be too low rez for your app. The left and right most parts of the window are not visible, even if I move or resize the window.
Thanks for your comment, Jools. Combat Tracker really is a great program, though I don't view it, or all the other trackers out there, as "competition". I'm not particularly interested in "capturing the market" with Familiar. The reason I started developing my own program was because there were certain things I wanted that I couldn't find in all the others. For example, Familiar allows you to see the stats for both the attacker and the defender at the same time, which is a huge benefit to me when I run encounters. I'm making it publicly available in the event someone else finds it useful and wants to provide feedback for enhancement.

In the end, I think a lot of it has to do with personal preferences. Some people may like Combat Tracker better than Familiar or vice versa. There's plenty of space for both to exist.

Regarding your monitor issue: can you tell me what resolution you're running at and how wide your screen is? I'll see if I can adjust the settings for the next revision. You can respond to this thread or send an e-mail to info@familiarrpg.com. Thanks!

Jools

First Post
Thanks for your comment, Jools. Combat Tracker really is a great program, though I don't view it, or all the other trackers out there, as "competition". I'm not particularly interested in "capturing the market" with Familiar. The reason I started developing my own program was because there were certain things I wanted that I couldn't find in all the others. For example, Familiar allows you to see the stats for both the attacker and the defender at the same time, which is a huge benefit to me when I run encounters. I'm making it publicly available in the event someone else finds it useful and wants to provide feedback for enhancement.

In the end, I think a lot of it has to do with personal preferences. Some people may like Combat Tracker better than Familiar or vice versa. There's plenty of space for both to exist.

Regarding your monitor issue: can you tell me what resolution you're running at and how wide your screen is? I'll see if I can adjust the settings for the next revision. You can respond to this thread or send an e-mail to info@familiarrpg.com. Thanks!

Fair enough! Perhaps my post sounded a little confrontational (as is the way with the net sometimes) but it really wasn't. I see your point about the attacker and defender being on screen at the same time. I'll give it a proper try when I get back from work later. My screen rez is 1152 x 864 btw.

Thale

First Post
Fair enough! Perhaps my post sounded a little confrontational (as is the way with the net sometimes) but it really wasn't. I see your point about the attacker and defender being on screen at the same time. I'll give it a proper try when I get back from work later. My screen rez is 1152 x 864 btw.
No worries. Thanks for giving it a try. I will play around with the size of the program and see what I can do to make it fit at that resolution. Just put it on my list of things to do.

Hawke

Explorer
I'd love something like this integrated into MapTool (see sig) - if you ever want to give Java a shot and wouldn't mind working with another opensource program, give it a shot =)

And don't apologize for adding another program to the mix, freedom and choices can't do anything but make things better for everyone.

Remove ads