• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

FANTASY GROUNDS Virtual Tabletop's D&D License!

Officially licensed D&D electronic tools! For real! Fantasy Grounds, one of the leading virtual tabletops, has just released a set of D&D 5th edition licensed data packages. These include the D&D Basic Rules, packs for each of the core classes, and a pile of monster packs. Each states specifically that "This product is licensed from Wizards of the Coast." This appears to be the first officially licensed and branded electronic product. (thanks to Matchstick for the scoop)

Officially licensed D&D electronic tools! For real! Fantasy Grounds, one of the leading virtual tabletops, has just released a set of D&D 5th edition licensed data packages. These include the D&D Basic Rules, packs for each of the core classes, and a pile of monster packs. Each states specifically that "This product is licensed from Wizards of the Coast." This appears to be the first officially licensed and branded electronic product. (thanks to Matchstick for the scoop)

Check out their D&D wares here. They mention that "The DMG is still in the works, along with the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, The Rise of Tiamat and Princes of the Apocalypse." and that "The basic 5E ruleset will continue to be provided directly within Fantasy Grounds to all licenses. These purchasable options add a new graphics theme that is officially branded, along with the library module support, and whatever other enhancements we could squeeze in, like tokens or portraits or decals."

Here's the announcement:
We are proud to announce that we are officially licensed to sell D&D source material and content inside of Fantasy Grounds! This is the beginning of a great new partnership between SmiteWorks and Wizards of the Coast that will benefit gamers worldwide.

You can purchase the D&D Complete Core Class Pack with all the class, feats, spells and equipment or you can purchase individual classes only. You can also buy the monsters in packs or as the D&D Complete Core Monster Pack. These products have been converted to work really tightly with Fantasy Grounds to give you the best possible gaming experience - we know you're going to love them. They contain all the great artwork and content from the official products and all the smarts and integration to work with Fantasy Grounds. Not only will you get the same content that can be found in print, but you also get an exciting new Fifth Edition theme, adventures and content customized specifically for ease of play inside of Fantasy Grounds.

For Dungeon Masters and players on a budget, you might pick up a Player Customization Pack and one or two Class Packs of your choice. Dungeon Masters can often get by with just the Adventure of their choice and one or two Monster Packs.

Don't forget that players can gift purchases through Steam for Dungeon Masters who have linked their license on Steam.

WOTC5EDDBASICRULES.jpg

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
Plus there is the question of what happens if WotC stops making 5e. Is the license still valid then? It might matter to those who paid 150$ up front to play limitless D&D.

That's definitely a reason to have a close look at the end user license agreement for the D&D 5e packages. I would expect that those items will be removed from the store, but much better to check it out beforehand.

Is the EULA accessible somewhere?

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
In all of this discussion the topic of the still outstanding DMG hasn't been touched. The DMG contains (as far as I know - still playing 4e:) ) lots of optional rules with which you can tailor the game to your needs. Does FG plus DMG allow you to activate/deactivate those rules? Is the functionality already programmed into the product?

wedgeski

Adventurer
I've already discovered the kind of remote play that works for our group, and digital tools aren't high on my list of "wants" for 5E...but I'm very glad to see this agreement come to fruition. Licensing to proven, established developers is undoubtedly the right way to go...good luck to all involved!

Blackwarder

Adventurer
It does run on Mac and Linux under WINE. The easiest solution for most Mac users is to purchase the license for FG from Steam for Mac and then purchase all the DLC directly from our store. It's like a one click install at that point. When you launch it from Steam on your Mac, you'll go to your settings and link it with your Fantasy Grounds forum username and password so it can retrieve any DLC purchases you've made. The only issue we had with Mac is that the DLC bought directly in Steam doesn't auto-download. Those are not flagged as Mac compatible on Steam for that reason, but if you accidentally buy them anyway -- just shoot a note to support@fantasygrounds.com and we can add it to your FG forum account.

Thanks!

Hmmmm, isn't there's a way to try it first? i'm not sure i'm keen on spending 40$ on something I just want to try...

Warder

damned

Explorer
Hola guys - the coding etc behind these frameworks is incredibly complex. Converting a source book to work with Fantasy Grounds is also complex. The DMG is about half way thru the conversion and is expected to be available around the end of May. All products need to be reviewed by the Wizards before being released too. Other adventures will be available before then.
You cant try out the licensed material without buying it but you can download the demo version and use https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?21835-D-amp-D-Basic-Rules-PDF-Parser to create many of the Basic rules for free. You can get a subscription for as low as $4/person or $10 for the ultimate which allows unlimited players with or without licenses.
Much of the DMG is tables etc. These will all have auto rolling and stuff. Some of the optional rules will be able to be turned on and off. Some rules will be left to GM interpretation.
Most spell effects are not automated. It is incredibly difficult to code automation for all the myriad effects etc available. There are some seriously powerfully effects to help implement and track spell casting. Spells with effects automatically expiring at the correct time, buffing or reducing stats or skills etc while others are just descriptive providing players and GM with the visual clues that the spell is still in effect.
If you buy 5E content thru the FG or Steam stores its yours to use with FG indefinitely irrespective of the status of the FG / DnD license. If the license expires FG will no longer be able to sell new content but will continue to stock it in order to replace it for you when installing on a new computer etc.
I think that is the last crop of questions covered :)

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
Most spell effects are not automated. It is incredibly difficult to code automation for all the myriad effects etc available. There are some seriously powerfully effects to help implement and track spell casting. Spells with effects automatically expiring at the correct time, buffing or reducing stats or skills etc while others are just descriptive providing players and GM with the visual clues that the spell is still in effect.

Now this is pretty open... Care to answer three concrete questions how these spells from the Basis Set work in FG?

Disintegrate prompts a saving throw from the target to be either disintegrated (killed and lost) or suffering some damage. If the damage reduces the target to 0 hp, it is disintegrated.

Death Ward lets the target survive the next lethal attack within 8 hours. It is reduced to 1 hp instead and the spell ends.

Faerie Fire grants CA on attacks versus the target(s). The spell's duration is determined by the caster's concentration (up to 1 minute).

How does concentration work?

How does targetting work? See Faerie Fire.

I don't want to diminish the quality or the effort that went into the product in any way, but these are serious usability concerns in my book.

My biggest issue with automation in VTTs is to make it clear which parts and details are automated and which aren't.

smiteworks

Explorer
Can FG accomodate house rules. Eg say I have a new spell. Can I input how it works into the program? Or what if I have houseruled Conjure Woodland Beings to take out the sentence about obeying orders? Can I delete that?

Yes, you can create your own spell effects. You'll want to use similar syntax to the spells in the D&D basic rules or the Class Packs and then you'll see how it picks up on certain wordings and effects.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads