• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fantasy RPG without levels?

Mantriel

Explorer
Does anyone know about a fantasy RPG without levels? I imagine the character progression to be skill based, or learning new feats/traits/backgrounds/spells/getting better etc.

I really would like to play in a "realistic health system", realistic economy system, with characters who have no levels (and thus don't gain automatic HP/saves etc.), but rather get new skill points or something similar.

Thank you for your help and suggestions in advance!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
There are dozens! But I'll take the opportunity to plug the WOIN system. Life path character creation, freeform skill system, flattish advancement, freeform verb-noun magic system. You spend XP on careers, skills, exploits, and attributes.

www.woinrpg.com

Sean Sutter

First Post
The old Warhammer RPG didn't really have levels. It was more job based, so you could follow a job tree progression. But it was random, and strangely punitive. Like suddenly finding out you smell so terribly of fish people won't talk to you... and your leg got ripped off at some point. I've always loved leveling up. But I guess it isn't really a very realistic representation of anything.

pemerton

Legend
Does anyone know about a fantasy RPG without levels? I imagine the character progression to be skill based, or learning new feats/traits/backgrounds/spells/getting better etc.

I really would like to play in a "realistic health system", realistic economy system, with characters who have no levels (and thus don't gain automatic HP/saves etc.), but rather get new skill points or something similar.
The original one is Runequest: skill-based (with increases triggered by using a skill during play, plus training rules). It also has hit locations, a death spiral and other elements of a "realistic" health system.

Burning Wheel is like RQ in many ways: skill-based, with increases triggered by using a skill during play, plus training rules; hit locations; a death spiral; etc. Recovery times are measured in weeks and months, not days. Unlike RQ, it uses an abstract Resources stat to resolve characters buying stuff.

Rolemaster and HARP (both from ICE) have levels, but levels simply grant skill points to be spent on character development. There is no automatic hp gain, and (depending a bit on game version and options chosen) no automatic saving throw gain. These systems also have hit locations, death spirals and other elements of "realistic" combat and health systems. Recovery times tend to be long (weeks, not days).

Then there are the systems mentioned by other posters.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads