Fantasy world maps and real world geology

Regarding how geology is shown on a fantasy world map

• Don't know much about real world geology, and don't care about it in a fantasy map.

Votes: 36 10.5%
  • Know some about real world geology, but don't care about it in a fantasy map.

Votes: 84 24.4%
  • Don't know much about real world geology, but do care about it in a fantasy map.

Votes: 59 17.2%
  • Know some about real world geology, and do care about it in a fantasy map.

Votes: 165 48.0%

Aezoc

First Post
I voted for option #3. I'm not a geology expert by any means, but I do expect a fantasy map to at least be believable for a layperson like myself. By believable, I mean that the geology is realistic OR that there's an explicit reason in the source as to why it's not realistic. In general, I (and I think most other people) assume that a fantasy world conforms to the basic physical laws of the real world unless the source material states otherwise. So clearly unnatural geology with no explanation is a little jarring to me.

JRR_Talking

First Post
worked for 17 years for the British Geological Survey

Like to try and have dungeons/caves make sense....but only if it doesnt get in the way of the plot/idea too much

John

Kahuna Burger

First Post
Aezoc said:
I voted for option #3. I'm not a geology expert by any means, but I do expect a fantasy map to at least be believable for a layperson like myself. By believable, I mean that the geology is realistic OR that there's an explicit reason in the source as to why it's not realistic. In general, I (and I think most other people) assume that a fantasy world conforms to the basic physical laws of the real world unless the source material states otherwise. So clearly unnatural geology with no explanation is a little jarring to me.
Basicly the same as what I would say. If I notice a "problem" with the geography, hopefully there will be some real planned reason for it. (and not just a handwaved, "it's a magic world so it looks weird" excuse). I won't notice any but the most obvious ones, so I don't think it's an unreasonable expectation....

Kvantum

First Post
I'm a geologist by trade, and by training (with 2 1/2 years of physics thrown in). Realism is pretty important to me... right up until the point where it starts to kill the coolness or fun of an idea. I like my maps to at least try and make some sense, unless the idea is just too cool to pass up.

fusangite

First Post
For me, it depends on how similar the physics of the fantasy world are to those of our own. Obviously, the more similar the world's physical laws are to our own, the more important real world geology is to me.

Dr. Harry

First Post
Quasqueton said:
When looking at a fantasy world map, do you know or care anything about real world geology?

Quasqueton

When I'm looking at a world, my personal style is that it is easier to get into it if I have to suspend my disbelief on limited topics, to make what is different more special. Expeditious Retreat Press' A Magical Society: Ecology and Culture has gotten a good deal of use, as have textbooks on geology and Earth Science.

What it comes down to is that I want to use something out of the ordinary as a flag to my players that something is going on. If water is flowing uphill, or there is a forest surrounded on alll sides by desert, I want this to mean that something is going on, not that this is just Exit 16 off the highway to Shadowdale.

Harry

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
I don't know much, and I don't care.

That's not to say that I don't want a supernatural explanation for obviously aberrant geographical features, like a single volcano in the middle of an otherwise flat, forested plain. Just that I'm satisfied with even "a wizard did it" - or, alternatively, "volcanoes aren't the result of geological pressures in this world".

Hussar

Legend
I don't know much about geology, but, the map should be at least plausible. No continent cutting rivers or stuff that they teach you in 8th grade shouldn't happen. Unless, of course, there is a reason for it to happen.

Personally, I have more of a problem with campaign maps that don't make sense in context. Such as having a trade hub on the circumference of a reasonably round continent and all the other major settlements also on the circumference. The shortest distance between two points is not on the edge of a circle.

Galethorn

First Post
fusangite said:
For me, it depends on how similar the physics of the fantasy world are to those of our own. Obviously, the more similar the world's physical laws are to our own, the more important real world geology is to me.

I'm with you, Fusangite.

To expand on that, the map I've been working on is my attempt to make something notably different from but reminiscent of earth's 'old world' for the 'prime material' plane of the setting I'm working on, while the spirit/dream world is unmapped, infinite, and follows no universal rules.

Remove ads