Fantasy world maps and real world geology

Regarding how geology is shown on a fantasy world map

• Don't know much about real world geology, and don't care about it in a fantasy map.

Votes: 36 10.5%
  • Know some about real world geology, but don't care about it in a fantasy map.

Votes: 84 24.4%
  • Don't know much about real world geology, but do care about it in a fantasy map.

Votes: 59 17.2%
  • Know some about real world geology, and do care about it in a fantasy map.

Votes: 165 48.0%

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I'd like a map to seem believable to my not-super-proficient eyes. If there's something that's a glaring exception, it better be rare and come with a cool and compelling reason. (I just introduced a seaside cliff of black volcanic glass into my campaign setting, for instance. Pretty wacky, but I think its coolness, and the explanation for it, makes it work.)

Father of Dragons

First Post
I either like the fantasy map to follow the rules of real world geology, or, I want there to be a reason in the history and/or cosmology of the game world for the difference. In fact, in a game of mine run back in the 80's, certain geologically impossible terrain features were actually artifacts of a previous civilization and some of my players eventually picked up on that and investigated.

(As an aside, I have a geography degree, although it was mostly "human geography" ala Pred with a bunch of computer work that led me into GIS. Geography and Geology degrees aren't really all that common, and I am amused to see several people with them here.)

Last edited:

You have made me develop a mental image with this thread:

A world lovingly assembled by powerful wizards, with all the terrain types where they wanted. Only to discover that physical laws can't be held at bay without constant effort.

So all of the weather forces are destroying the lovely landscape, leaving vast jungles frozen to tundra and tumbling hillsides baking into deserts. Volcanoes erupting in the fertile plains where the continental shelves didn't quite fit right. That sort of thing.

frankthedm

First Post
Hairfoot said:
I care. The Elsir Vale map from Red Hand of Doom is a classic: desert surrounding an arena of varying terrain types for the PCs to explore. Like it was designed for that purpose by god(s).
Mystara setting has similar issues

Kaodi

Hero
I would not say large doses of realism are a required element, but I think making maps according to the forces present in the world is definately an enhancing factor. Perhaps one of the few things about Secrets of Sarlona that bugged me was that there were zillions of manifest zones, but no clear picture of how they affect the world around them. Random Fernian and Risian manifest zones must be like the Hosts curse on meteorologists.

the Jester

Legend
I know some, and I care... but if there's a good fantasy explanation as to why the geography is screwy, then I am totally satisfied.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Long ago I learned enough geology to vaguely know what I was doing, and it bugs me when a map makes no geological sense. That said, if there's a feature you want, and you can explain it, by all means plug it in.

Same goes for climate.

Someone used Mystara as an example that makes no sense...I'd guess you're referring to the desert where no desert should be? Simple answer there is that some long-ago divine battle or nuke-level wizarding experiment scarred the land beyond recovery...

Hussar: when cities are all on the outside circumference of a continent sometimes the shortest viable trading distance *is* around the circumference, via sea, as the interior is one of: impassably mountainous; held by monsters; completely unexplored; nothing but desert, etc., etc. One such city being a trading hub simply tells us that's the city where most of the off-continent trade comes in, from across the ocean. :)

Lanefan

hong

WotC's bitch
Hairfoot said:
I care. The Elsir Vale map from Red Hand of Doom is a classic: desert surrounding an arena of varying terrain types for the PCs to explore. Like it was designed for that purpose by god(s).

www.wizards.com/dnd/images/rhod_maps/95679.jpg
"We go west."

"To the west you see vast, trackless wastelands."

"South?"

"To the south lie impassable mountains."

"North?"

"More mountains, plus an impenetrable forest."

"Oookay then, east?"

"Yes. You head east, towards Edoras."

"I hate this campaign."

Remove ads