• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fantasy world maps and real world geology

Regarding how geology is shown on a fantasy world map

• Don't know much about real world geology, and don't care about it in a fantasy map.

Votes: 36 10.5%
  • Know some about real world geology, but don't care about it in a fantasy map.

Votes: 84 24.4%
  • Don't know much about real world geology, but do care about it in a fantasy map.

Votes: 59 17.2%
  • Know some about real world geology, and do care about it in a fantasy map.

Votes: 165 48.0%

RFisher

Explorer
Aezoc said:
By believable, I mean that the geology is realistic OR that there's an explicit reason in the source as to why it's not realistic.

I thought having unexplainable stuff that the DM gets to make up secret explainations for--that the PCs discover in play--was at least half the fun of any good fantasy setting.

fusangite said:
What matters about a game world is not how consistent it is with our world but how consistent it is with itself.

Or just that it's good enough for the players in your group.

Maldin said:
Similarly, I think a poorly designed and highly improbable map takes away so much of its believability.

In cases like these though--it's often been my experience that what laypeople consider unrealistic by their limited knowledge of a subject seldom jibes with experts or reality.

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
Coplen said:
I care about real world geology. When I was remaking the map for my fantasy world I had a friend place the mountains so they'd be placed correctly. Heh.

One map I was always fond of was from Birthright. The mountains looked like they were in roughly appropriate places, to where you could almost see the plates, and you could get an idea of prevailing weather patterns.

Brad

I know, and I care. As a geologist (there's a lot of us - we should start a thread in OffTopic), I find realistic terrain, climate, and drainage patterns very important. Thinking about these sorts of things (however briefly) has always been a baseline for me in creating a setting - and is one of the first steps in campaign design in both the old World-builder's Guidebook and the MMS world-building book. I should add that there is still the fantastic to be found IMC - magically-nuked deserts, volcanos over portals to the Elemental Plane of Fire, vast dwarven metropoli that would surely cave-in with real-world physics, etc.

I prefer geologically sound underground settings (karst, flumes, etc) to the typical 'dwarven ruins' (not that I don't use those, either), also. The reality of a cavern system is a wonderful thing, full of holes and nooks ready for exploration; 5'x5' blocks really can't reproduce it.

Thanks,
Matt

(sorry to DP)

cignus_pfaccari said:
One map I was always fond of was from Birthright. The mountains looked like they were in roughly appropriate places, to where you could almost see the plates, and you could get an idea of prevailing weather patterns.

Brad

QFT. Yet another example of the superiority of Birthright as a campaign setting.

-Matt

fusangite

First Post
Argus Decimus Mokira said:
I know, and I care. As a geologist (there's a lot of us - we should start a thread in OffTopic), I find realistic terrain, climate, and drainage patterns very important.
As I mentioned in my longer response above, I find it really weird that people conflate "realistic" with resembling the world in which we live.

Why is it "realistic" for a world with widespread magic, an Elemental Plane of Earth, interventionist gods and only four elements to look like a world that doesn't have any of those things? How can plate tectonics, for instance, operate in a world in which earth is an element, as opposed to a highly variable amalgam of compounds made up for 50+ elements?
Thinking about these sorts of things (however briefly) has always been a baseline for me in creating a setting
That's great for you. As I said above, I'm always glad to see people being able to integrate their professional and recreational lives. But I do not see how this makes your worlds any more realistic than those of someone who uses different, but equally consistent design principles.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
I know something about it and care about it on a fantasy map. In the vast majority of cases, the map really does need to make some kind of geographic sense; mountains run in ranges, rivers from from higher ground to lower ground, hot deserts do not lie next to ice fields.

Magic, of course, allows for some of these laws to be broken in certain ways over a limited period of time. If a kingdom is cursed into eternal winter then I don't much care for a long scientific explanation of how the massive cold front affects the surrounding areas, but I'd like to see some effect from it addressed. A trapped demon can cause a volcano to erupt where none could normally exist. I can deal with that, too. As long as there's some explanation that's not 'It's magic' because all too often that's a way of saying 'I thought it was cool to have it this way and I want it that way so that's that'. Most of the time you can find an explanation for having things almost any way you want them; not taking the time to do so is laziness.

Now in certain areas like Xen'drick that have suffered some sort of magical apocalypse, all bets are all. Then the crazyquilt terrain becomes a feature, not a bug. But again, there is an explanation for it.

Wombat

First Post
I am a lover of that oxymoron, "realistic fantasy:.

Probably explains why I like Tolkein and Guy Gavriel Kay. ;)

I like to believe there is at least some basis in reality before the abberations appear on the scene. This extends to geography as well as societies and monsters. Nations don't stop at "borders"; cultures slosh and overlap. Creatures move about. Rivers and mountains appear in certain areas for reasons. Jungles don't simply appear.

So, yes, I like maps that seem at least semi-plausible. This shouldn't be that hard if you look at all the fascinating oddities of the Earth's geography and geology, and yet so many maps miss the point anyway.

Remove ads