Fast moving melee character build

Ambrus

Explorer
My gaming group is going to be starting a swashbuckling Savage Tide AP / Freeport campaign set in Mystara and I'm looking to make a character based around the theme of movement, speed and travel while remaining effective in combat. Since the campaign will be partially maritime in nature, I need to keep the watery environment in mind so as not to be stymied by it. I've got a build I've been working on and wanted to get some feedback on it along with suggestions for possible improvements to it.

I'm aiming to get the Up the Walls psionic feat for vertical terrain as well as the Elocater's Scorn Earth ability to be able to move across bodies of water. So far, my build involves quite a bit of multi-classing to net as many increases to my character's base speed. My DM is fairly flexible when it comes to allowing sources material so I've used quite a few splatbooks as well as a base class from Monte Cook's Arcana Evolved; the Totem Warrior.

Here's my proposed build so far:

1st = Barbarian 1 (with Whirling Frenzy UA rage variant)
2nd = Ardent 2 (with Freedom and Element mantles)
3rd = Wolf Totem Warrior 1
4th = Wolf Totem Warrior 2
5th = Fighter 1
6th = Elocater 1
7th = Ardent 2
8th = Dervish 1
9th = Dervish 2
10th = Dervish 3

I'm planning on taking the Quick trait from Unearthed Arcana for added speed at 1st level, combined with the Barbarian's Fast Movement ability for a +20-ft increase to land speed. At 2nd level, the Freedom mantle grants another +10-ft of speed while the elemental mantle grants a swim speed equal to a a character's land speed. The Wolf Totem Warrior grants yet another +10-ft speed increase at 3rd level, which is also the level at which I'll be taking the Up the Walls feat. 4th and 5th levels grant extra feats which are necessary to meet prestige class requirements. Elocater at 6th level grants the Scorn Earth ability. At 7th level a second level of Ardent grants the Conflict mantle which in turn grants the Weapon Focus feat needed to qualify for Dervish at 8th level. Dervish will grant my character an extra +5-ft. of speed as well as the Dervish Dance ability; the ability to make multiple attacks while continuing to move. And then onward to further speed and melee boosts via added Dervish levels. I'm trying to fit in the Speed of Thought feat somewhere in there, but most of the character's feats will be tied up to meet prestige class requirements so it seems I may not be able to take it before 9th or 10th levels.

The campaign setting severely limits the choice of races to humans, elves, dwarves and halfings; though my DM is allowing some sub-race substitutions. Right now I'm leaning towards playing a halfling (using a Strongheart from the FRCS as a stand-in).

So does this sound crazy? Can anyone do better while maintaining the character's theme?

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Well, a halfling has -10' of movement to start off with, right? You may be better off with a human for a 30' move and the extra feat.

Make sure all those speed increases stack. A lot of folks get tripped up over the fact that most don't.

Also, be sure to get the psionic power hustle if you can figure out a way to do so. It's incredibly useful.

Ambrus

Explorer
The idea of playing a small character who can outrun a horse appeals to me. Ideally, a whisper gnome would be my race of choice but failing that a strongheart halfling at least gets a free feat just like a human. :\

All of the speed increases are unnamed bonuses except for the Dervish's which is an enhancement bonus and Speed of Though which is insight.

I believe I can get the Hustle power from my Freedom mantle at 7th level. :)

Darklone

First, I'd pick a kobold. Why? Natural armor, faster movement speed (e.g. 30ft) and MEEEEEEEPO!

Classes? I'd keep it simple. Barbarian2/Scout3/RangerX. Or go purely Scout for lesser BAB and more speed...

This char will be quick and able to dish out huge amounts of damage due to skirmish (Swift Hunter feat!). He'll have Improved Uncanny Dodge at level 4 and all those nice swift ranger spells to boost their combat abilities. Plus: You won't get hit with full attack actions if you don't want to.

Take the scout variant with climb speed if you plan to run up a lot of walls (and stay up there!).

s-dub

First Post
Does it matter how much you multiclass as long as you keep the levels close to each other?

I really liked your build but can you let us know how you're planning to do damage?

Ambrus

Explorer
s-dub said:
Does it matter how much you multiclass as long as you keep the levels close to each other?
Some would say yes. I say no. ;)
s-dub said:
I really liked your build but can you let us know how you're planning to do damage?
Well, at low levels the character can use it's whirling frenzy to gain an extra attack and a Strength boost for added damage. At higher levels, when I gain the Dervish Dance, I'll be able to charge, make multiple attacks and retreat to safety. I might likewise pick up two-weapon fighting around 9th level to benefit from the Dervish's ability to yield two scimitars as light weapons.

Why? What would you recommend?

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
I'd say scrap dervish and take barbarian pounce instead: the limited uses per day of dervish dance will be a major PITA. Then get fast movement from scout levels like Darklone suggested.

Darklone

The scout levels I mentioned. Just imagine +6d6 damage on each dervish dance attack due to Improved skirmish :D

Edit: You can add dervish levels for some rare extra omphf per day to my build.

Ambrus

Explorer
Thanks for the suggestions guys! :D
Darklone said:
First, I'd pick a kobold. Why? Natural armor, faster movement speed (e.g. 30ft) and MEEEEEEEPO!
Unfortunately, we're limited to the races (and subraces) I listed earlier. There are no kobolds to play in this setting.
Darklone said:
Classes? I'd keep it simple. Barbarian2/Scout3/RangerX. Or go purely Scout for lesser BAB and more speed...
It's a valid suggestion for pure combat effectiveness, but I'd lose quite a bit of speed, not to mention the ability to gain Up the Walls and Scorn Earth by doing so.
Darklone said:
Take the scout variant with climb speed if you plan to run up a lot of walls (and stay up there!).
Giving up speed increases is counterproductive since building up my speed is my main focus. Besides, Up the Walls is much more effective than climbing, especially with a high base speed. Imagine having a speed of 50-ft. and taking a run action to climb up a 200-ft. tower in one round. Even most flying creatures couldn't manage that. ;)
blargney the second said:
I'd say scrap dervish and take barbarian pounce instead: the limited uses per day of dervish dance will be a major PITA.
I'd originally discounted the Lion Spiritual Totem alternative class ability because of the loss of Fast Movement, but on second thought, it would seem to net me the fighting style I'm looking for (making multiple attacks while moving swiftly) much more easily and sooner than Dervish levels would. It might be a worthwhile tradeoff. Hm. I don't suppose the Pounce ability can legally be used with Spring Attack can it? The Hustle power on the other hand could keep my character moving after a Pounce though...
Darklone said:
The scout levels I mentioned. Just imagine +6d6 damage on each dervish dance attack due to Improved skirmish
Maybe I'm missing something, but wouldn't I need 13 levels of Scout to gain +6d6 skirmish damage, on top of my barbarian/other levels?

I'll admit, additional Scout levels are attractive though... but so... many... feats... needed... :heh:

wolff96

First Post
Ambrus said:
I'd originally discounted the Lion Spiritual Totem alternative class ability because of the loss of Fast Movement, but on second thought, it would seem to net me the fighting style I'm looking for (making multiple attacks while moving swiftly) much more easily and sooner than Dervish levels would. It might be a worthwhile tradeoff. Hm. I don't suppose the Pounce ability can legally be used with Spring Attack can it?

The Pounce ability specifically calls out the full attack at the end of a charge. You can't Spring Attack on a charge, since the feat specifically calls out "using the attack action". A charge is it's own, unique action.

Remove ads