• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Favorite Change in any D&D edition

Orius

Legend
3d6 in order was still the default in 2e.

Also, we never cheated - our only rule was if you didn't have at least one 15 or higher, you re-rolled.

Thing is I'm not sure how many people even used the straight 3d6 in 2e, nearly every single group I gamed with, either player or DM, used the 4d6.

Incendax

First Post
4E Class Balance. I can suddenly play a Fighter/Ranger/Paladin/Barbarian/Monk and not be statistically worthless after about level 8. There was not a single edition before it where this was true, and in earlier editions you couldn't even get past level 8 depending on your race. :D

Doctor DM

First Post
I know the OP said just one, but I gotta do two.

The best is higher rolls are better, especially the death of THACO.

My personal favorite though is Hide and Move Silently into one skill for 4th edition. I've never played 4th, don't plan to, and really haven't read through all the rules even, but I really like making that one skill, I do it now for 3.5. I always thought it was lame you had to burn ranks in 2 skills that are the same basic thing. All the skill consolidation was good IMO.

Jhaelen

First Post
The one change that really struck me and deeply affected how I DM was reading that I should 'say yes' to my players (4e DMG). Not a rule per se but definitely a radical change in DM philosophy for me.
As long as you remember saying "Yes, but..." ;)

Non-Game Mechanic
OGL - The creative spark that launched a wildfire. Long live OGL!

Game Mechanic
The Multi-Class system introduced in 3rd Edition. Despite some weakness with caster level, its the best multi-class system in any edition of DnD.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Different damage dice for different weapons, introduced in Supplement 1, Greyhawk IIRC (and I might not have - it was a long, long time ago!)

ourchair

First Post
Game Mechanic
The Multi-Class system introduced in 3rd Edition. Despite some weakness with caster level, its the best multi-class system in any edition of DnD.
I agree, though I think the best incarnation of 3rd edition multi-classing was in Star Wars SAGA Edition.

3rd Edition multi-classing invited some very odd combinations from players (not the fault of the designers, mind you) and introduced way more prestige classes than were necessary.

In SAGA Edition, I like how they learned that lesson and applied 'archetypes' to the concept of each prestige class, so that they are more flexible in terms of story planning, as opposed to the hundreds of hundreds of obtuse and highly specific prestige classes introduced in every 3rd edition supplement.

Mircoles

Explorer
The elimination of the vancian magic system. Even though there are still small remnants of it. There isn't enough left to cause any problems.

Changing AOO into OA. AOO made 3.x combat paralyzing and decidedly unfun.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads