Favorite Doctor from Doctor Who

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
This probably won't work for everyone, but I found that my wife was a big ninny about such things. She didn't care for Star Trek, Babylon5, Iron Maiden, etc.

My wife and I both love and watch a bunch of genre shows. And she's not averse to my introducing her to shows - we are making our way through DS9 now, on my suggestion.

But, for one thing, there's only so much TV we want to watch, so something has to be low-priority.

And, to be honest, the stark (and, if I may say, overplayed) surprise expressed when she says she hadn't watched it has rather given her a negative feeling about it. She gets the "you aren't *really* one of us" vibe from other geeks. It is unwelcoming, and engages her stubborn against the peer pressure. I can't say I blame her. Given the same reception, I'd probably do the same.

"Browncoating" is not only for Firefly.

Some people just don't know what's good for them.

See above - some others are rather big in the britches claiming they *do* know what's good for others, and they can ruin a show. "Fan" is short of "fanatic" after all, and we should not be surprised when people don't actually follow our lead when we are true to that form.

And getting passive-aggressive about it with my wife and life partner? Nuh-uh. Ain't happenin'.

Anyway, sorry for the detour. Now back to your regularly scheduled thread.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
And, to be honest, the stark (and, if I may say, overplayed) surprise expressed when she says she hadn't watched it has rather given her a negative feeling about it. She gets the "you aren't *really* one of us" vibe from other geeks. It is unwelcoming, and engages her stubborn against the peer pressure. I can't say I blame her. Given the same reception, I'd probably do the same.

This is the freakiest conversation ever. She's not here! It's cool if your wife doesn't appreciate that type of humour, but that's not gonna affect how we talk to each other here. I don't find friendy "turn in your geek card" comments to be out of place in a Doctor Who thread.

Besides, the majority of the audience for Doctor Who isn't geeks or sci-fi fans. It's mainstream Saturday night TV viewers. So the geek card reference isn't even accurate; it's just a bit of mild friendly ribbing.

Last edited:

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
1) Fourth Doctor (Tom Baker)
2) Third Doctor (Jon Pertwee)
3) Eleventh Doctor (Matt Smith)
Tenth Doctor (David Tennant)
5) Ninth Doctor (Christopher Eccleston)
6) Second Doctor (Patrick Troughton)
7) First Doctor (William Hartnell)
8) Sixth Doctor (Colin Baker) - He always gets flak for being too goofy, yet most fans seem OK with Sylvester McCoy. I enjoyed his episodes, though as my 8th place pick I'm by no means touting him as anything too spectacular.
9) Seventh Doctor (Sylvester McCoy)
10) Fifth Doctor (Peter Davison) - Maybe it was Tom Baker leaving, but I never really liked the fifth doctor and actually stopped watching the show during his tenure.
11) Eighth Doctor (Paul Mcgann) - I can only base my placement on the movie. At the time I thought that this horrible travesty of an Americanized TV movie/pilot was the attempt that would telll all others that followed to never try reviving the show again. I'm glad they ignored this and we got the new series.

Herschel

Adventurer
1. David Tennant: The guy was flat-out brilliant so often when he could pull wonderful moments out of some otherwise goofy (crappy?) stories. He showed a flawed Doctor trying to be the best he could. The quiet scenes were often his best. In "The End of Time" he had some absolutely brilliant moments; with Wilf in the cafe, with John Simm's less manic moments, the "farewell" scene with Jessica Hynes...I'm almost amazed how much I like those moments out of (imo) a pretty crappy story overall.

2. Matt Smith: He does a great job of "Mad Man in a Box". Part of what makes him climb to the #2 spot is the interaction with Rory. Before the last series he was down a couple notches. Rory adds perspective and depth to the character by countering and pointing out certain things while sometimes being treated like a "third wheel".

3. Paul McGann: His sense of wonder really captures how I picture the Doctor. The Big Finish audio adventures with Lucy as companion are some of my favorite stories. I loved him originally in the really crappy TV movie and thought "If I can like him a lot in that setting, how good will he be with decent treatment?" I wasn't disappointed.

4. Christopher Eccleston: He's up a couple spots also after re-watching his series. His war-weary Doctor really captures a nice feeling of "the only guy who lived while having to eradicate his own people in a long, hard war of worlds."

5. Patrick Troughton: I'm not sure what it is, but the eclectic, sometimes manic, portrayal by Troughton is something I enjoy a lot. He's the impish meddler whose curiosity seemed perfect as the personaility after "the one who ran away".

6. Peter Davison: He had some cheesy scripts to work with and was in the unenviable position of taking over after the immensely popular Tom Baker, but he brought a humanity and introspective heir to the role I really enjoyed.

7: Jon Pertwee: A nice counter to Troughton's impish doctor, Pertwee brought a regal heir to the character who "remembered" he was of a noble and storied race and embraced that part.

8. William Hartnell: What I liked about Hartnell was how he captured the crotchety old noble man with the (sometimes) hidden impish and devious streak. His "transition" to Troughton may still be the most natural switch in Doctors still, personality-wise.

9. Tom Baker: His Bohemian eccentricity was fun, but it never held the impishness, curiosity or wonder of Troughton, McGann or Smith. His "I wander and I'm weird" vibe never resonated with me as much as others. He did have some great stories though. The Dealy Assassin, The Key to Time, The Talons of Weng Chang, etc. were all well done and probably the prime time of the original series. He also had an interesting array of companions.

10 . Sylvester McCoy: I actually liked his Doctor, but man, most of the stories suuuuucked. You could really tell the BBC didn't care much about the show at that point. He also had two rather annoying companions in Sophie Aldred and Bonnie Langford.

11. Colin Baker: Worst. Doctor. Ever. He did some interesting things early on (which actually got the show some heat) and the stories turned darker, but so often his Doctor was just irritating.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Sorry if my observations on how fans can sometimes sound got in the way.

I can't tell if you're being sincere or not. This all started when I told someone else entirely to hand in their geek card (someone who responded perfectly amicably to it, as expected), and somehow sideswerved into you telling me - and then subsequently others - how your wife doesn't approve of such language.

But still, this thread has been derailed enough, methinks. Back to talking about Doctor Who, indisputably the best show on television. :)

Herschel

Adventurer
One thing I think that helps my view of the newer Doctors is also their companions. The newer companions generally have a lot more oomph and gravitas than the old ones. Barbara was okay, Liz was pretty good (but short-lived), Harry was fine, Romana was solid, and Peri was okay but that's under half.

Cor Azer

First Post
One thing I think that helps my view of the newer Doctors is also their companions. The newer companions generally have a lot more oomph and gravitas than the old ones. Barbara was okay, Liz was pretty good (but short-lived), Harry was fine, Romana was solid, and Peri was okay but that's under half.

That's very possible. I have a passing familiarity with the earlier Doctors, but could not tell you a thing about their companions. Of the newest ones, I like Rose the best.

horacethegrey

First Post
So let's switch gears a bit. Name your favorite episodes from each Doctor:

First Doctor The Daleks - The intro to the Doctor's greatest foes is still the best of Hartnell's run IMO. Despite the limited effects and slow pacing, it's still a suspenseful scifi story that occasionally gives me chills.
Second Doctor The Invasion - Awesome Cyberman story and a tour de force for Patrick Troughton. Also UNIT's first appearance.
Third Doctor Inferno - A wonderful parallel universe romp for Jon Pertwee. Even at 7 episodes, it feels tight and suspenseful all the way through.
Fourth Doctor City of Death - My all time favorite Doctor story, written by the late great Douglas Adams. Great plot coupled with hilarious moments from Tom Baker and co. make this a timeless classic.
Fifth Doctor The Caves of Androzani - I admit I'm not much of fan of Peter Davison. But even I can't deny how brilliant he is in this, his swansong from the show written by the great Robert Holmes.
Sixth Doctor The Two Doctors - Another Robert Holmes story, and possibly the only one I can stand from Colin Baker's run. Though it probably has more to do with the 2nd Doctor and Jamie's guest starring.
Seventh Doctor Ghostlight - I've often heard people say how confusing this story is. Don't know about them, but I followed it pretty well and thought it Sylvester McCoy's best outing.
Eighth Doctor The Chimes of Midnight - Okay. I admit I'm cheating a bit including one of the Eighth Doctor audios here. But since Mcgann only had one tv outing, I thought it a shame to exclude this brilliant story which I feel is one of the best Who stories of all time.
Ninth Doctor The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances - Current Who helmer Steven Moffat's first offering for the new series, and quite possibly his best.
Tenth Doctor The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit - Long before his character devolved into an egotistical prick, David Tennant was giving a winning performance in this two parter.
Eleventh Doctor The Doctor's Wife - Wow. Leave it to Neil Gaiman to write the best episode of the new series. Fantastic.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
So let's switch gears a bit. Name your favorite episodes from each Doctor:

Little time, so I'll just dop the recent three.

Ninth Doctor Dalek
Tenth Doctor Human Nature/Family of Blood (or Blink - hard call)
Eleventh Doctor The Doctor's Wife

Remove ads