• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Favorite pie?

Dioltach

Legend
Aurora said:
Cardamom is expensive. I bought some the other day and it was like $10 for this itty bitty bottle! Sheesh.

A bottle? Is that some kind of extract?

Maybe it's different in the States, but in Europe you can pick up cardamom pods for next to nothing, at your local ethnic supermarket if nowhere else. Of course, having said that, I'm still using the supply of cardamom that I bought in the Aswan souk in Egypt a few years ago.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
There's this pie this lady I know makes which she calls Rocky Mountain Pie. It has nuts, chocolate chips, and rum... it's amazing.

bodhi

First Post
Aurora said:
What is chess pie?
Apparently, it's a Southern (US) thing.

Olaf the Stout said:
(I think it's called Jelly in the US)
Jam's made with fruit flesh, jelly's made with fruit juice. This page has a nice breakdown.

ObTopic, I second pecan pie. Also key lime pie (made with real key limes). Also, New York style cheesecake (which, IMHO, is more pielike than cakelike, name notwithstanding).

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
For sweet pies: lemon meringue is top of my list, but apricot runs a close second.

For savoury pies: I'm a steak and onion or steak and mushroom fan if I'm cooking. Though steak and cheese is good for a quick lunch-on-the-go single serving from a bakery or petrol station, or beef stroganoff if I can find it.

While I was at university, there was a brand of wholemeal-crust pies sold at the cafeteria... the beef and mushroom was fantastic :) Haven't seen them since, though :(

I'm not usually a chicken pie fan, though I've found a store that does good chicken satay or butter chicken pies.

Can't stand fish pies.

-Hyp.

Sidekick

First Post
Pecan pie is very good, since travelling to your States of unity I’ve become a convert to the pie that is pecan.

Other favourites are lemon meringue, Banoffee pie.

Or if your feeling extra adventurous you could try to make a Pavlova – it’s not necessarily a Pie but its sorta like one and heavenly good in the taste department.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
RangerWickett said:
They say baking is a science.

Baking is only part science. It is also part arcane mystical practice...

I've never met a pie I didn't like. Well, not quite true, but close.

You've already managed a form of custard pie. In terms of expanding your range, a fruit pie would be a good step. Apple is probably easiest.

Thing is, I'm not a huge apple pie fan. The apple pies I like have really small pieces of apple, and much more of the goo (I believe that's the technical term for it). I don't like chomping into massive slices of apple in my pies.

But of the fruit pies, I suppose I like apple best. I'm glad so far no one has suggested peach cobbler. Uff da.

Remove ads