• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Favorite System that Never Caught On

Calico_Jack73

First Post
BattleLords of the 23rd Century: A really cool setting.

Living Steel: I also liked the setting but never got to play.

Kult: World of Darkness kind of eclipsed this one.

Dark Conspiracy: Sadly GDW went the way of the dinosaur before this product really took off and was supported.

JollieRoger said:
Con X
Delta Green
Cyber Punk 2020
Mutant Chronicles
2300 AD
Twilight 2000
Jovian Chronicles RPG
Heavy Gear RPG
Riddle of Steel
Cthulhu Dark Ages
Fading Suns
Warhammer Fantasy Role Play

This is the stuff collecting dust on my shelf or I have recently sold to a used book store. I only get to play some of these once in a great while and only if I GM.

How can you say that Twilight:2000 never caught on? Head over to Drivethrurpg.com and take a look at all of the support material that was produced for it. It lasted long enough to go through a couple editions. Hell, there was even a computer game produced for it.

Last edited:

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
ainatan said:
The Lord of the Rings version of the CODA system. Man... I really wanted this game to achieve success. I've never created so much expectation for a game than i did for LOTR RPG from decipher. I really hope all the responsables for its failure die a painful and prolongued death.

I ran a campaign of this game. It was "d20 Lite" except that the basic mechanic was 2d6 instead of 1d20. I like this game. The supplements for it are outstanding. It's too bad they didn't get around to releasing a "Return of the King" sourcebook.

The various essays in the game about how to run an epic fantasy campaign were really well-done. The designers even discussed using the game for a non-Middle Earth fantasy campaign. It'd be interesting if they decided to release the game on its own, without the setting - but don't get me wrong, the game is great with the Middle Earth setting. Matter of fact, the setting-specific material is lovingly well-researched.

Nalfeshnee

Explorer
an_idol_mind said:
Alternity was a very well-designed game that never got its fair shake. I wish WotC would sell it off to another company that would give it a new home.

Seems like you beat me to it :) I was a big fan of Alternity for the seemingly few months it was around. I never got round to buying anything for it. Shame.

Also, I'm not sure if it eer caght on, but in my area the latest version of WHFRP is non-existent. My group and i have the rulebook but have never played. I've been playing GW games for close to 15 years now (the reason i got into RP) and feel ashamed to have never played :)

Last edited:

HeinorNY

First Post
ColonelHardisson said:
I ran a campaign of this game. It was \"d20 Lite\" except that the basic mechanic was 2d6 instead of 1d20. I like this game. The supplements for it are outstanding. It\'s too bad they didn\'t get around to releasing a \"Return of the King\" sourcebook.

The various essays in the game about how to run an epic fantasy campaign were really well-done. The designers even discussed using the game for a non-Middle Earth fantasy campaign. It\'d be interesting if they decided to release the game on its own, without the setting - but don\'t get me wrong, the game is great with the Middle Earth setting. Matter of fact, the setting-specific material is lovingly well-researched.

That is by far the prettiest game I\'ve ever seen.

I have all the books from LOTR decipher and played the game. I have to agree with you, it\'s everything that you mencioned and also simply broken.

taliesin15

First Post
Not really an RPG, but it does involve heavy role-playing, I'm still mystified that Steve Jackson's Illuminati card game didn't catch on more...that is outside of my beloved Austin.

Gargoyle

Adventurer
taliesin15 said:
Not really an RPG, but it does involve heavy role-playing, I'm still mystified that Steve Jackson's Illuminati card game didn't catch on more...that is outside of my beloved Austin.

I played it several times a week at one point with buddies. I wouldn't exactly call it role-playing, but I've seen bluffs that made poker look like go fish.

Remove ads