• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Favorite System that Never Caught On

Darkwolf445

First Post
WmRAllen67 said:
The edition of Gamma World with the results table (third, I think)...

Third Edition is correct. Both it and second edition get my vote, as does the previously stated Dark Conspiracy.

Star Frontiers, pre Zebulon's Guide

anhar

First Post
HERO system for me.

I'm sure it's caught on with some groups, but not with the people I play with.

I honestly think the problem is that after 20 years of DnD, they don't know what to do with a gradual leveling system rather than a sudden leveling system.

the gradual system makes alot more sense, but it's just not as rewarding of a feeling as "Ooooo! 5th level! that means I get FIREBALL!"

Faraer

Explorer
Quickleaf said:
HeroQuest is a phenomenal game save for it's lack of support for tactical play.
It works fine for tactical play unless you want the ruleset to determine what's tactically effective rather than the narrator.

Wayside

Explorer
an_idol_mind said:
The other problem that I had with SAGA is that there was no way to replace lost cards. If I lose some dice, I can buy some new ones. If a handful of cards falls into a mud puddle, then I've just wrecked my game.
Actually they sold the deck and the SAGA rules separately for around $10. It came with an adventure and some other stuff too.

Dragonbait

Explorer
Masque of the Red Death
I tried to GM Alternity before, but I didn't get the system. I don't know why. However, I always wanted to try again.
Since some people have listed the Star Wars d6 system, I'll add it too. It works, but I also like the d20 version.
Fuzion

unfortunately, I have not played many non-mainstream games.

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
WmRAllen67 said:
The edition of Gamma World with the results table (third, I think)...
I had a chance to play the old Marvel Superheroes game by TSR. It was a blast and it simply worked wonderfully for a supers game. The guy from our game group who introduced the game to all of us told us that Gamma 3rd edition used the same system. I wished I had an opportunity to try that rules system with another genre. It just feels that it could work brilliantly for almost anything. It is too bad that TSR buried it. It's a system that I would love to see another publisher pick up and revive.

My votes go for Masque of the Red Death and Buck Rogers XXV. I loved games based on varient AD&D 2nd edition rules.

And another vote for an improved RIFTS, the setting and rules are good, but it became the poster boy for POWER CREEP.

JollieRoger

First Post
Con X
Delta Green
Cyber Punk 2020
Mutant Chronicles
2300 AD
Twilight 2000
Jovian Chronicles RPG
Heavy Gear RPG
Riddle of Steel
Cthulhu Dark Ages
Fading Suns
Warhammer Fantasy Role Play

This is the stuff collecting dust on my shelf or I have recently sold to a used book store. I only get to play some of these once in a great while and only if I GM.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads