• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Favorite System that Never Caught On

Hussar

Legend
Well, a good chunk of Vance's works are available on the net on various sites. The guy that introduced me to the game basically handed me a few of the short stories to get me primed. Not a bad way to get into a game really.

I just loved the fact that you try to speak in the absolutely most convoluted manner possible. The conflict resolution system is pretty sweet too.

Baron Opal

First Post
pawsplay said:
Adventure! But I am probably the only person I know face to face who owns it, or even knows much about it.

Hey! I have that game! Loved Aberrant and Aeon, too. I really got into the Fourth Millenium project that Steve Otte (?) spearheaded. Unfortunatly, the net address got sold out from under him and the whole site imploded.

Turjan

Explorer
Glyfair said:
Of the systems I've played, that I wished had caught on, I'd have to vote on Hero Wars/Heroquest. Although I found a major flaw in it, if more people were attracted to it, someone would come up with something to address that flaw (indeed, still might).
If you think of extended contests, the authors of QuestWorlds thought of either dropping or replacing them. Most people experience them as some kind of mini-game without much connection to what you actually want to achieve. Beware of experienced poker players :D.

Glyfair

Explorer
Turjan said:
If you think of extended contests, the authors of QuestWorlds thought of either dropping or replacing them. Most people experience them as some kind of mini-game without much connection to what you actually want to achieve. Beware of experienced poker players :D.

But if you get rid of extended contests, then you end up with combats requiring one roll to adjudicate. That's not very satisfying in my opinion.

You'd have to replace it, or come up with a system for combat using many simple contests.

(Note, I haven't actually picked up the Heroquest version. My group was turned off by HW, and $40 is a bit much for a game I know I won't run anytime soon.)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads