Favorite Variant/House Rules

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
Sravoff said:
That is two feats according to CW. Improved tougness gives 1hp per HD, and tougness is the prerequisite.

Technically, three with the bonus to MDT. However, all three of them are typically considered to be pretty weak feats, and I haven't seen people lining up to take the combined version.

Improved Toughness doesn't have regular Toughness as a prerequisite, though-- at least, I don't remember it doing so.

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
Sravoff said:
What is MDT? And tougness may not be a prerequisite, but most "improved" feats have prerequisites.....

Massive Damage Threshold. It's the number of hit points of damage you have to take in a single attack before you have to roll a Fortitude save or die. Normally, it's 50; in my games, it's the character's Constitution score, but they don't automatically die if they fail.

Improved Toughness has a prerequisite of Base Fortitude Save +2, which means classes with good Fortitude Saves can take it at 1st level (when it's useless) and classes with bad Fortitude Saves can take it at 6th, when it's twice as good as Toughness.

I prefer combining the two, since Toughness is useless at higher levels and Improved Toughness is useless at lower levels; it makes for a single feat that's more or less decent at all levels.

The Improved Massive Damage Threshold feat from d20 Modern is included because it doesn't make sense for a "tougher" character to just have more hit points when any single hit can down a character regardless of hp. It's also included because I think it's a little too weak to standalone as a feat.

kyloss

First Post
We use a variant on the FR regional feat- it is a bonus feat that everyone gets base on there regions, we also use it in our Eberon game where gm just offers a couple based on race/class+region ie shifter feats are usualy available to them as a selection. That and action points.

Last edited:

Remove ads