Favorite Variant/House Rules

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
No penalties for multiclassing. Humans and Half elves gain +1 skill point per level in the base class they have the most levels in and their first prestige class.

Cross class skills cost 1/point, but the maximum ranks are the same as usual.

Raise Dead type magic is not found on anyones spell lists. It's exceedingly rare direct intervention by a deity or uber arcane magic. Instead we use WFRP style fate points. PCs start with 2, earn more during play. Some NPCs have them too. Spend one to miraculously escape death.

Use a feat that's a bit like practiced spellcaster, but it boosts animal companion and paladin mount powers. Boosts them up to your HD, instead of capping at +4.

None of these fix anything 'broken', but are flavour changes that the players and I think make the game more fun. We've talked them over.

pntbllr

First Post
In my campaign I allow the clerics to spontaneously cast. I figure that they are praying to their diety for an effect not actually manipulating magical energy themselves but simply acting as channels.This also allows me to say that their connection to the diety feels weak or strong so I have a say in how effective a given spell is going to be.

Shadrach_Storm

First Post
I've been contemplating an idea similar to Domino's Destiny stat, but more like destiny points (or bennies from Savage Worlds) rather than a stat. The number of destiny points a character gets would be 1 + the character's charisma modifier (with a minimum of zero destiny points if the character has a negative modifier). Tying the number of destiny points to charisma would make charisma more valuable and put it on par with the other stats. As it is, charisma is a dump stat unless the character needs it for a class and is the only stat that does not have real intrinsic value. For example, strength modifies to hit and damage and how much one can carry, wisdom modifies will saves, and so on. By using 1 destiny point, a character can reroll a d20 roll or automatically stabilize after failing a stabiliztion roll. By using 2 points, a character can retroactively make a d20 roll the character just made into a "20" (but not a natural "20", so it could confirm a crit but not create a threat). Characters would have their destiny points refreshed on a regular basis--perhaps with all their points replenished at the beginning of each session (or less frequently if the DM prefers).

Sravoff

First Post
pntbllr said:
In my campaign I allow the clerics to spontaneously cast. I figure that they are praying to their diety for an effect not actually manipulating magical energy themselves but simply acting as channels.This also allows me to say that their connection to the diety feels weak or strong so I have a say in how effective a given spell is going to be.
Spontaneous casting like the warmage, with the clerics progression? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

-Sravoff

frankthedm

First Post
My faves.

No Grid, we measure distances.

Casting defencively and tumble are opposed rolls.

Raising Intelligence from level up and natural aging does grant retroactive skill points.

Power Attack is always a one for one trade off and all attacks recieve its benefit.

Subdual / nonlethal damage: Not tracked separately. What determines if you are knocked out or dying is how the last attack was delivered.

Poison: Status effects are used for the effects of most poisons. initial onset times are often longer.

On an attack roll of a natural 1 soimething bad happens, normally you draw a AoO from the foe you melee attacked or you strike an ally in the direction you fired in.

Sun domain: Replacement Granted power: You may cast your Cure & Inflict spells as a short range ranged touch.

Knowledge domain: replacement power: Gain Bardic Knowledge as a bard = your level.

Coup de grace: Takes 1 round. [as a one round spell] You can instead choose to auto crit as a full round action

frankthedm

First Post
The Thayan Menace said:
In our game, Craft (Alchemy) does not have spellcasting as a prerequisite.

I use that too. But on the other hand, I do disallow several alchemic items i feel are too good compared to magic, like the ACME glue[tanglefoot] bags and solar road flare.[sunrod].

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
Speaking of Craft (Alchemy)... Artificers aren't spellcasters.

Yeah, that one needs fixed, even if just to say that Infusions count as spellcasting ability for the use of Craft (Alchemy).

Kryndal Levik

First Post
pntbllr said:

Have you done anything else to balance the class? There are spontaneous-cast cleric variants out there (one of which is in a WotC book, can't remember which), and most of them limit spell selection to make the cleric more like a sorceror.

Remove ads