Favorite Variant/House Rules

genshou

First Post
Kryndal Levik said:
Have you done anything else to balance the class? There are spontaneous-cast cleric variants out there (one of which is in a WotC book, can't remember which), and most of them limit spell selection to make the cleric more like a sorceror.
One of my favorite spontaneous divine casters is the Shugenja base class from Oriental Adventures. It is very similar to sorcerer, with a higher casting rate but fewer spells known.

I've also played a standard cleric with spontaneous casting, and if it was unbalancing, I didn't really notice. I was just having fun playing my character.

FreeTheSlaves

Adventurer
My campaign aside, hit points & abilities are never generated as per the RAW. This is clearly shared by a large section of the community, if not the majority, & that indicates that it is something that needs to be fixed by 4th edition.

pntbllr

First Post
Kryndal Levik said:
Have you done anything else to balance the class? There are spontaneous-cast cleric variants out there (one of which is in a WotC book, can't remember which), and most of them limit spell selection to make the cleric more like a sorceror.
I haven't run into a problem with balance, however one of my clerics is played by a first time player and the other is played by a longtime player more interasted in the story than in power gaming. If I start having problems I can adjudicate a loss of contact with, or diminished influence of the diety granting the spell. Might bend some noses doing this but I think I can explain why I'm doing it.

Eternalknight

First Post
FreeTheSlaves said:
My campaign aside, hit points & abilities are never generated as per the RAW. This is clearly shared by a large section of the community, if not the majority, & that indicates that it is something that needs to be fixed by 4th edition.

I dunno... nearly every group I have played in has generated them as per the rules. In fact, I personally have never seen hit points done any other way, though I do know of those who do average rolls for hit points.

Eternalknight

First Post
Actually, my favourite isn't really a house rule, but is how ability scores are generated in the Lone Wolf RPG. 1D8+10 for each ability, assign as desired.

Sravoff

First Post
Eternalknight said:
Actually, my favourite isn't really a house rule, but is how ability scores are generated in the Lone Wolf RPG. 1D8+10 for each ability, assign as desired.
Wow, that is so simplistic its genius! Glad I got my hands on that one.....

-Sravoff

Eternalknight

First Post
Sravoff said:
Wow, that is so simplistic its genius! Glad I got my hands on that one.....

-Sravoff

And you know what? My stupid fingers got the numbers the wrong way around. It should be 1D10+8, for a range of 9-18, not 11-18.

DungeonmasterCal

First Post
Eternalknight said:

Been doing that since 1e days...it's a great quick and dirty NPC creation method.

Sravoff

First Post
Eternalknight said:
And you know what? My stupid fingers got the numbers the wrong way around. It should be 1D10+8, for a range of 9-18, not 11-18.
Darn, and I thought I had the perfect super character creater! :D 1d10+8 is still good, I think I will definitly use this. I used 1d20, reroll if less than three or more than 18. <-Usually makes charcterts with one avg. stat, two low, and two high.

-Sravoff

Remove ads