• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Favorite Variant/House Rules

genshou

First Post
Kryndal Levik said:
Have you done anything else to balance the class? There are spontaneous-cast cleric variants out there (one of which is in a WotC book, can't remember which), and most of them limit spell selection to make the cleric more like a sorceror.
One of my favorite spontaneous divine casters is the Shugenja base class from Oriental Adventures. It is very similar to sorcerer, with a higher casting rate but fewer spells known.

I've also played a standard cleric with spontaneous casting, and if it was unbalancing, I didn't really notice. I was just having fun playing my character.

FreeTheSlaves

Adventurer
My campaign aside, hit points & abilities are never generated as per the RAW. This is clearly shared by a large section of the community, if not the majority, & that indicates that it is something that needs to be fixed by 4th edition.

pntbllr

First Post
Kryndal Levik said:
Have you done anything else to balance the class? There are spontaneous-cast cleric variants out there (one of which is in a WotC book, can't remember which), and most of them limit spell selection to make the cleric more like a sorceror.
I haven't run into a problem with balance, however one of my clerics is played by a first time player and the other is played by a longtime player more interasted in the story than in power gaming. If I start having problems I can adjudicate a loss of contact with, or diminished influence of the diety granting the spell. Might bend some noses doing this but I think I can explain why I'm doing it.

Eternalknight

First Post
FreeTheSlaves said:
My campaign aside, hit points & abilities are never generated as per the RAW. This is clearly shared by a large section of the community, if not the majority, & that indicates that it is something that needs to be fixed by 4th edition.

I dunno... nearly every group I have played in has generated them as per the rules. In fact, I personally have never seen hit points done any other way, though I do know of those who do average rolls for hit points.

Eternalknight

First Post
Actually, my favourite isn't really a house rule, but is how ability scores are generated in the Lone Wolf RPG. 1D8+10 for each ability, assign as desired.

Sravoff

First Post
Eternalknight said:
Actually, my favourite isn't really a house rule, but is how ability scores are generated in the Lone Wolf RPG. 1D8+10 for each ability, assign as desired.
Wow, that is so simplistic its genius! Glad I got my hands on that one.....

-Sravoff

Eternalknight

First Post
Sravoff said:
Wow, that is so simplistic its genius! Glad I got my hands on that one.....

-Sravoff

And you know what? My stupid fingers got the numbers the wrong way around. It should be 1D10+8, for a range of 9-18, not 11-18.

DungeonmasterCal

First Post
Eternalknight said:

Been doing that since 1e days...it's a great quick and dirty NPC creation method.

Sravoff

First Post
Eternalknight said:
And you know what? My stupid fingers got the numbers the wrong way around. It should be 1D10+8, for a range of 9-18, not 11-18.
Darn, and I thought I had the perfect super character creater! :D 1d10+8 is still good, I think I will definitly use this. I used 1d20, reroll if less than three or more than 18. <-Usually makes charcterts with one avg. stat, two low, and two high.

-Sravoff

Remove ads