• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Favourite DnD Setting

Spelljammer by a long shot. It's the only published setting I actually used pretty much as written. Other I either ignored because I didn't care for it (Dark Sun, Planescape), or modified beyond recognition (using pieces of multiple "generic" fantasy world all together (Greyhawk, FR others).

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
Let's change this up. What about the newer settings. What are your favourites?
Exandria is a pretty good "kitchen sink" campaign setting, and thanks to the success of Critical Role, most new players are already familiar with it. The Explorer's Guide to Wildemount also has a good amount of crunch to go with the setting and the lore...new subclasses, monsters, magic items, a whole new school of magic, six adventures...it's a solid game supplement even if you have a different setting in mind.

Last edited:

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
As per the title, what is your favourite setting?

Firstly I want to restrict to 5e settings.
Then open it up to include other versions too, that you have included in your 5e games.

Which settings do you like the most?
Not a lot of options if you keep it to 5e settings. That’s, what, Sword Coast, Ravenloft, Eberron, Exandria, and the MtG planes (Ravnica, Theros, and Strixhaven)? Of the options, I’d say Ravenloft.

My actual favorite setting is the 4e implied setting (Nerath/Nentir Vale/Points of Light)

edosan

Adventurer
My preferred setting is "Sword Coast, kinda" because I've internalized so much of it between novels, video games and the like.

If they would do a "points of light" book like Nentir Vale I'd probably use that a lot but I don't want to hunt down a bunch of impossible to find 4e hardcovers.

(I personally don't like a ton of world lore to have to keep straight and to infodump on players. Simpler is better, I say.)

Last edited:

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Okay so let's throw caution to the winds here.

What about all the other settings, Farland, Aetaltis, Grim Hollow, various Cyberpunk settings, Kisarta, Fateforged, Theros, Arkadia, Eberron, Midgard & Southlands, Nightfell, Esper Genesis, Svilland, Symbaroum, Superhero settings, Wildermount, Tales of Arcana.

Just to name a few.
I think I’ve heard some D&D YouTubers shilling for some of those. A friend of mine thought about running a Midgard/Southlands campaign once but never got it off the ground. Otherwise, I don’t really know anything about these.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Newer settings? Nentir Vale.

Exandria is cool...because it’s the setting and cosmology of 4E with some name swaps and the setting expanded. So that’s nice.

Rogerd1

Adventurer
Not a lot of options if you keep it to 5e settings. That’s, what, Sword Coast, Ravenloft, Eberron, Exandria, and the MtG planes (Ravnica, Theros, and Strixhaven)? Of the options, I’d say Ravenloft.

My actual favorite setting is the 4e implied setting (Nerath/Nentir Vale/Points of Light)
All the ones I listed above are 5e settings though, albeit 3rd Party.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
Newer settings? Nentir Vale.

Exandria is cool...because it’s the setting and cosmology of 4E with some name swaps and the setting expanded. So that’s nice.
I don't disagree...Nentir Vale is pretty good, and Exandria has a lot of roots in it...but not everyone would agree that the 4E default setting is a "newer" setting.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads