Fear the Gremlins!

jaker2003

Explorer
I need a once over to make sure this is an interesting monster, and I need help finding both CR and LA.

Gremlin

Tiny Humanoid (Goblinoid)

HD:1d8-1 (7hp)

Initiative: +2.

Speed: 20 ft., Climb 20 ft., Burrow 5 ft.

AC: 17 (+2 Size, +2 Dex, +2 leather armor, +1 light shield).

Base Attack/Grapple: +2/-9

Attack: Claw 1d2-1.

Space/Reach: 2.5ft./2.5ft.

Special Attacks: Sneak attack +1d6, sunder magic.

Special Qualities: Darkvision 30ft., wild magic aura.

Saves: Fort +1, Ref +2, Will -1

Abilities: Str 9, Dex 15, Con 8, Int 8, Wis 9, Cha 8

Skills: Climb +10, Disable Device +9, Hide +14, Jump +12, Listen +3, Move Silently +10, Spot +3.

Feats: Acrobatic.

Environment: Any underground

Organization: Tribal.

CR: 1/2

Treasure: Standard.

Alignment: Usually Chaotic Neutral.

Advancement: By character class.

Level Adjustment: +1

This little humanoid has a flat face and nose, pointed ears, and a wide mouth full of many sharp teeth. It walks on all fours, grasping a broken lock in one hand.

Gremlins are tiny humanoids that are rarely seen and often cursed. Gremlins are known for clandestinely disabling and sabotaging machines and devices. These scaled goblins are not evil, but simply enjoy practical jokes.

A gremlin stands 1-1/2 to 2 feet tall and weighs 5 to 8 pounds. Its eyes are bright and reflective, varying in color from red to yellow. A gremlin’s scales vary in color from brown to gray to black. Gremlins wear little more than a belt to carry useful items. Gremlins reproduce asexually and lay 1d4 eggs every six months.

Gremlins speak Goblin; Those with Intelligence scores of 12 or higher also speak Draconic.

COMBAT

Sneak Attack (Ex): A gremlin can make a sneak attack like a rogue, dealing an extra 1d6 points of damage whenever a foe is denied his or her Dexterity bonus, or when the gremlin is flanking.

Sunder Magic (Su): A gremlin’s claws are magically toughened to the hardness of adamantine. Any object or creature struck by a gremlin’s claw attack is subject to a targeted dispel effect as the dispel magic spell. (Caster level 10.)

Constructs are not immune to critical hits and sneak attacks delivered by a gremlin’s claws.

Wild Magic Aura (Su): Any spellcaster attempting to cast a spell within 30 feet of a gremlin must succeed on a caster level check or fail to cast the correct spell. The DC is 10 plus the gremlin’s Constitution modifier. If a spellcaster fails this check, his spell slot (or prepared spell) has been used, but a random spell of equal or lesser spell level instead takes affect. A gremlin is not immune to this ability, but may attempt to suppress his own wild magic aura as a free action with a Wisdom check (DC 10 + Constitution modifier).

Skills: A gremlin uses its Dexterity modifier on Climb and Jump checks instead of its Strength modifier. Gremlins have a +4 racial bonus on Jump and Move Silently checks.

A gremlin has a +8 racial bonus on Climb checks and can always choose to take 10 on a Climb check, even if rushed or threatened. Gremlins also have a +10 Insight bonus on Disable Device checks, and Disable Device is always a class skill for a gremlin.

GREMLINS AS CHARACTERS

Gremlin characters possess the following racial traits.

- -4 Str, +4 Dex, -4 Con, -2 Int.

- Tiny size: +2 bonus to Armor Class, +2 bonus on attack rolls, +8 bonus on Hide checks, -8 penalty on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits ½ those of Medium characters.

- A gremlin’s base land speed is 20 ft., gremlins have climb 20 ft, and burrow 5 ft.

- Darkvision out to 30ft.

- See Skills, above.

- Special Attacks: Sneak attack, sunder magic.

- Special Qualities: Wild magic aura.

- Automatic Languages: Goblin. Bonus Languages: Common, Draconic, and Undercommon.

Last edited:

Marchen

First Post
Higher CR?

I think +2d6 sneak attack damage is too high for a CR 1/3 monster, especially when combined with their Wild Magic ability (which could mess up low-level casters).

I would make their sneak attack just +1d6 and have them be CR 1/2 maybe?

jaker2003

Explorer
ok, let's see how that works

oh, I still need a level adjustment; I don't know how to do that, what with the size and supernatural abilities.

Last edited:

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I like this lil dude and will consider yoiking him

as to LA I'm afraid I lack the skills to do a good job but I'm going to guess +2 (the additional move speeds and special abilities make it too good at low levels). I'd have put the CR higher too

Arkhandus

First Post
I'd have to say LA +1 at most. Their ability score adjustments make up for their skill bonuses and minor abilities at least, while their Tiny size makes up for their climbing benefits more or less. Altogether I think it might be a strong LA +0 in some games, but for most games it'd probably be more appropriate at LA +1. Their capabilities make them good roguish types (you need to specify favored class btw), but they'd be rather fragile, sorta meek, and with slightly fewer skill points.

DreamChaser

Explorer
and since as tiny creatures, they would be severely limited in their ability to attack, and sneak attack, and they cannot flank ever, the sneak attack is a half-hearted ability at best.

DC

Remove ads