Feat points for getting feats instead of fixed feat slots at levels?

1. Make math flat. Your attack bonus at 1st level is maybe +1. Your attack bonus at 5th level? Maybe +2. At 20th? Maybe +5. So a feat that gives a +1 bonus to hit is impressive.

2. Make there be only one version for each of these 'math feats.' Don't be complicated. There's an "I get +1 to hit" feat, and an "I get +2 to damage" feat. There's not an "I get a +1 bonus to hit and damage with this weapon in this circumstance." Nor is there an "I take a -1 penalty to hit to get +2 damage" feat.

3. Math is boring. Min-maxing is a waste of time. Toss in maybe 6 feats total that affect the math (HP, attack bonus, damage, AC, initiative, saves). All other feats are flavor and options.

Oh, you spent a feat to get +1 to attack rolls? Cool, I spent a feat to learn how to do capoeira. I take no attack penalties in melee while prone, and I can stand up without having to spend an action. My buddy spent a feat to form a pact with a volcano spirit, so he can cast burning hands at will. The cleric spent a feat so she's immune to fear. But I'm sure that attack bonus comes in handy.

Dragoslav

First Post
Agreed with the people who say to just make all of the feats not suck. For example, the original 4e weapon focus feats that gave you +1 attack vs. the more recent ones that give you +1 attack and some unique situational perk when using that weapon type. Although I wish they could also just eliminate the older versions from the CB just to reduce the glut.

Combine this with flatter math, and the process is even easier. +3 to a skill check would be killer if you get no (or significantly fewer) skill increases from leveling up.

I reiterate that if you cut out the bottom 25% of feats for "sucking", then you'll have a new minimum level of feats that "suck".

Mandating that all feats be awesome leads to inevitable power creep.

Too much into point buy category maybe.

If you do it that way, merge them with skillpoints maybe. 2nd edition skills and powers did so and it was not half bad.

On the other hand, i would rather like that base game without feats. Or maybe feats as treasure, independant of level... but that is another discussion...

Sadras

Legend
So what about a system that gives us feat currency in feat points to spend for feats.

Lets say that a default "good feat" costs 6pts: I.E. Power attack, then weapon focus is a little bit worse and would be 5pts, skill feats would be 4 or 3 while the dreaded conjurers abrupt jaunt would be 9 or even 10. FR regional feats would be between 5 and 8.

All characters would get 8 pts at lvl 1 and 3 pts for every other level + any bonus feat points that they would get from class levels(fighter would get another 6pts at 1st lvl and 4 on all other levels but would not get heavy armor and shield proficiency). Other classes would get either some mandatory fixed bonus feat and/or bonus feat point.

To prevent too much "banking" for higher level feats there could be placed a limit to keep left over points at 8 or lover.

Okay, what you are suggesting is straight from White Wolf's Merits and Flaws. If you gonna do point buy - do it right. not half-measure! Scrap the whole system completely and just take an already successful system like White Wolf's Dark Ages and go from there.
In fact I would welcome a massacre of all these holy cows in D&D and create Dungeons & Dragons based closer to the White Wolf system. It's hands down a better system. And would fix up all multi-classing issues, feat issues, skill issues, class feature issues, spells/powers, combat, paragon/epic tier adventuring AND combat with the delusional hitpoint system.

That way you need only 4 core classes and with feat buying would direct your character in desired way.

Truthfully you wouldn't even need classes, unless of course you gave each class something specific that the other class could not get - but then most (everyone) would mutli-class which would defeat the purpose.
Scrap classes - go themes only.
Of course the traditionalists here are gonna wave their banners and pooh-pooh me...and to that I say :p

Mattachine

Adventurer
I reiterate that if you cut out the bottom 25% of feats for "sucking", then you'll have a new minimum level of feats that "suck".

Mandating that all feats be awesome leads to inevitable power creep.

Of course, one could also mandate that no feats are awesome, too. Cut the bottom 25% and the top 25%.

Remove ads