Feat prerequisites - Why?

werk

First Post
Quasqueton said:
Why do the Sudden Metamagic feats not have the normal Metamagic feat as a prerequisite? "I can't prepare a silent spell, but I can cast a silent spell just off the top of my head, without even increasing the slot.
Good question, I'd say because sudden metamagicks are broken ;p j/k. I think it's because they trade out prep level for once per day limitation. The reason there is no prereq is because the extremely low feat count that casters get.
Why does Extra Smiting have a +4 BAB prerequisite? Can't get it when the paladin's smite ability is weakest and just once per day, but can get it later when he already has 2 smites and they are more powerful.
Smite AB and damage bonus is based on paladin level, maybe it's just something they wanted to limit for no good reason that I can think of. I can't explain this one.
Why does Improved Grapple have a Dex 13 prerequisite? Dex doesn't even have anything to do with the grapple mechanic.
Improved Grapple only negates the AoO (IIRC) so it would make sense that avoiding an AoO is tied to dex, much like reflexes, dodge, mobility, etc.
Why does Improved Bullrush and Improved Overrun have a Power Attack feat prerequisite? What does doing more damage with your weapon have to do with pushing opponents with your *body*?
It's just part of the PA feat tree. IB and IO are so great that they don't want just anyone using them (another joke). I also believe it is so fighters have to spend feats to get feats that they want, making them feel like their feats are well spent rather than "I have so many feats they just don't matter anymore." which I have heard from fighters (only), while keeping the useful feats out of reach of non-feat laden characters.
Why does Improved Trip have Int 13 and Combat Expertise as prerequisites?
That's easy, because combat expertise requires an Int of 13, so it really only requires CE. Why is CE required...I think because it is the only feat that says, 'I know how to use my brains while fighting to protect myself.' Tripping is somewhat 'outside-of-the-box' when it comes to classic D&D fighting styles (bash, bash) and you are trying to make this special attack without drawing AoO, pretty complex.
Why does Shot on the Run have Dodge and Mobility as prerequisites? What does defensive feats have to do with an offensive feat?
I think you are focusing on the word shot instead of the word run. Shot on the run requires the ability to pick your way through a cluttered combat field, which is developed through dodge (tree) mobility.
Why is Eschew Materials not a metamagic feat? It illiminates a casting component, just like Silent and Still Spell, which not only are metamagic feats, but increase the spell level slot for the spell.
Because it doesn't affect a specific spell as does metamagics, it affects the way that all spells are cast by the caster. I would compare it against other spellcasting non-metamagic, non-spell specific feats like combat casting and spell focus or spell pen.
Why does Far Shot have Point Blank Shot as a prerequisite? Isn't this an oxymoron?
This is one that I hate as well. It's just so that it is in the archery feat tree, which point blank is the doorstep, like power attack. It's designed to make fighters spend feats and to prevent non-fighter feat-starved from taking the useful feats.

Hope that is sorta what you're after.
werky

Last edited:

Dr_Rictus

First Post
ARandomGod said:
And so, since they were created from the base idea that metamagic sucks, having Sudden metamagic require it's non-sudden feat as a prerequisite would be very counterproductive.

Well, I wouldn't have put it that way myself, but yeah. I forget the exact Dragon magazine reference, but a complete overhaul of metamagic was contemplated for 3.5 and the designers did present a variant system in Dragon with more than a passing resemblence to the sudden metamagic feats. So it's pretty clear that they were designed so that you could cut the regular metamagic feats entirely in favor of the sudden ones if you were of the "metamagic sucks" crowd.

apesamongus

First Post
Quasqueton said:
Why do the Sudden Metamagic feats not have the normal Metamagic feat as a prerequisite? "I can't prepare a silent spell, but I can cast a silent spell just off the top of my head, without even increasing the slot level."
Because the once a day abilities kinda suck.

Why does Improved Grapple have a Dex 13 prerequisite? Dex doesn't even have anything to do with the grapple mechanic.
Because it doesn't just help you grapple, it helps you start a grapple without taking an AoO. It's a defensive feat, which calls for dex. Also to make dex less of a dump stat for heavy armor fighters (who also tend to be strong and therefore good grapplers)

Why does Improved Trip have Int 13 and Combat Expertise as prerequisites?
To make some smart fighter builds more viable.

Why does Shot on the Run have Dodge and Mobility as prerequisites? What does defensive feats have to do with an offensive feat?
Shot on the run is about improving mobility, so having mobility is a no brainer. And dodge is a prereq of mobility.

Why is Eschew Materials not a metamagic feat? It illiminates a casting component, just like Silent and Still Spell, which not only are metamagic feats, but increase the spell level slot for the spell.
Given that it doesn't affect spell level, casters would just mem all spells as Eschewed versions, so it was silly to add the extra level of stuff to keep track of. So, they changed it from being something you do to individual spells to something that directly affects the way you do magic. Also, it was decent for wizards but kinda crappy for wizards even though conceptually it makes a lot more sense for sorcerers.

Why does Far Shot have Point Blank Shot as a prerequisite? Isn't this an oxymoron?
Both are about being a better archer. You learn to shoot things close up before you learn to shoot them far away.

FireLance

Legend
Quasqueton said:
Why do the Sudden Metamagic feats not have the normal Metamagic feat as a prerequisite? "I can't prepare a silent spell, but I can cast a silent spell just off the top of my head, without even increasing the slot level."
I think a much better system for the sudden metamagic feats is to have a single Sudden Metamagic feat (prerequisite: any other metamagic feat) that allows you to apply each of the metamagic feats you possess to your spells twice per day without increasing the level of the spell or the casting time. You can only apply a metamagic feat to a spell of a level equal to or less than half your caster level minus the spell level adjustment of the metamagic feat. So, if you are a 10th-level wizard with Empower Spell, Maximize Spell and Sudden Metamagic, you could apply Empower Spell to any of your 3rd-level or lower spells twice per day, and Maximize Spell to any of your 2nd-level or lower spells twice per day.

Remove ads