Feat suggestions for low-level clerics?

Pickaxe

Explorer
Going strictly with PHB feats, I would also recommend Scribe Scroll. Someone also mentioned Improved Turning, which I think is probably as good as any other option, at least first or third level. At low levels, it can make a big difference. In fact, in our last session, our cleric 1/wizard 3 (the only cleric in the party), made two critical turn checks against some krenshar skeletons and lizardfolk zombies. Without this feat, he would have failed both checks, and the feat also helped his turn damage such that all of the undead but one zombie were turned. It's only a +1 to your level, but it does affect both your turn check and your turn damage.

--Axe

Stalker0

Legend
Another vote for scribe scoll...personally its a much better feat for clerics than wizards.

Why?

Because clerics have a ton of spells that are fantastic in very specialized situations. Neutralize poison is just one that springs to mind. Not one you want to prepare everyday...but once you encounter that monstrous spider it sure comes in handy!!

Longbow

First Post
Exactly. There are so many good spells to have in an emergency (Remove Paralysis, Lesser Restoration, Restoration, Protection from X, Resist Energy, etc.).

Shin Okada

Explorer
Another vote for Scribe Scroll. This feat is certainly great for a Cleric.

At lower level, make a lot of Cure Light Wounds scrolls whenever possible. Then, try to have 1-3 each of condition removing spells such as Remove Fear, Lessor Restoration, Remove Paralysis, etc. Divination spells and spells which enhance combat capability (say, divine favor, righteous might) are also good.

As a second feat for 1st-level human cleric, SKill Focus (Concentration) may not a bad idea. More versatile comparing to Combat Casting.

My Cleric PC has Travel Domain and took Tracking as the second feat at 1st-level. It helped much as there was no Druid nor Ranger in the party.

It the cleric has high CHA, Extra Turning and Disciple of the Sun (from CD) maybe good too. So as various Divine feats.

I am not a big fun of Improved Initiative. It gives only +4 for a d20 roll which is only made once per combat.

Rleonardh

First Post
PHB only....
Cleric 20
Human: Spell Focus Conjunction
1: Augment Summoning
3: Craft Wondrous Items
6: Leadership or Craft Wands
9: Craft Magical Weapons and Armor
12: Forge Ring
15: Craft Staff
18: Lightning Reflexes

Gives your party alot of options
Only problem this is for dms that allow some downtime or some Homebrew rules.

Example for our games:
50gp x spell craft roll plus 1000 gp per day
25gp x spell craft roll plus 500 gp for helper

If adventuring during rests and some time before camping for night.
Only 25gp x spell craft roll plus 500 gp per day

aco175

Legend
I think the designers were making characters that are more normal than the optimized PCs we tend to make. Alertness and scribe scroll are not the best 'combat' feats, but are handy if your table plays in a less combat game. These add flavor to the background of the character and are useful in certain situations.

I tend to play in a combat-heavy game and would suggest a few that the others already mentioned.

Rleonardh

First Post
Well to me there is 2 types of best.
Pure power gaming
Vs
Role playing, combat is important but not the end all be all.

Really comes down to how players want to play and the campaign being ran.
If it's a "one shot" or a dungeon crawl the power gaming is important.
If it's a x to x level campaign that going to run the Gambit you can build for favor role playing.

The cleric necromancer 😉 is a good all purpose one even some summon Monster spells.
The celestial bison and griffins are decent options if good aligned.

Scribe Scroll is great thing for a cleric. Can do alot of cure x things you don't want to prepare for daily use, cheap to make also.

Remove Paralysis x3
Restoration, Lesser x3
Remove Blindness/Deafness x3
Remove Curse x3
Remove Disease x3
Neutralize Poison x3

Also know if you got a wizard with creation feats that can free you up for other feats... If the wizard is willing to give up his exp😂

If you got a group of casters you can even share the creation feats and free up more slots. There a few rods that are great for the players to make but only the wizard can truly handle that area as it's feat extensive.

Last edited:

Remove ads