Feel like a chump buying AP books at FLGS

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I like to support my local gaming stores, but the pricing policies of most publishers is making this hard to do. For some of the larger adventure paths, I like to have the book, but also may want the PDF for the maps, so that I can print battlemaps or use with a VTT or RealmWorks. But if I buy the book at the store, I have to pay full price for the PDF. I understand why publishers do this. If you buy directly from them, they don't have to share profit with the middleman (the FLGS) and can pass the savings on to you. What it has done, however, is made me refuse to buy APs, and just about any non-WoTC RPG print material for that matter, from game stores.

My most recent experience, and final straw, was I was browsing the 5e section at one of my local FLGS and came across Trail of the Aprentice by Legendary Games. It looked like a great adventure path to play with my sons and I bought it on impulse. After looking through it at home, I immediately had buyers remorse. Not because of the content--it looks like it will be a great tier I campaign to play with kids. But the maps printed in it, while nice looking, are pretty much useless for play. You can't easily remove them from the book and use them. They won't photocopy well. You need the PDF to turn them into battlemaps, handouts, DM references, etc. They don't sell a map pack for the AP, so I would need to buy the entire PDF for $30. If I were to by the book and PDF bundle from their website, I'd only pay $10 for the PDF. [UPDATE: I contacted Legendary Games and they were willing to let me buy the PDF for the discounted rate. So it is worth contacting the publisher. Very cool for Legendary Games to do this.]

Paizo does the same thing.

Kobold Press is better if you only want the maps. While buying the hardcover books gives you a discount on the pdf (free in the case of Book of Lairs) that you would not get if you buy it from a FLGS, the map pack is a single price. So you can by the hard cover from a FLGS and buy just the maps from the Kobold Press store and not feel slighted.

About the only APs I would buy at a FLGS are WoTC publications. Because they don't sell PDF versions, so it doesn't matter. You can buy map packs for some of the APs from the cartographers' websites, but these are independent of the book sales, so they will cost you the same no matter where you bought the book.

Have to say, that I just do not trust buying books from a FLGS anymore. You pay more for the book and you get no discount on any digital content. It is rather sad, because I think that the FLGS is still important to the hobby. If I owned a FLGS, I would be far more inclined to support Adventurer's League over PFS, because WoTC doesn't create incentives to not buy from the FLGS and they even create material that you can ONLY get at FLGS (such as the awesome alternative cover to Volo's Guide to Monsters).

The FLGS has become Best Buy. You go there to look at the products, but you end up buying on line. Hope FLGS do a better job reinventing themselves than Best Buy.

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I like to support my local gaming stores, but the pricing policies of most publishers is making this hard to do. For some of the larger adventure paths, I like to have the book, but also may want the PDF for the maps, so that I can print battlemaps or use with a VTT or RealmWorks. But if I buy the book at the store, I have to pay full price for the PDF. I understand why publishers do this. If you buy directly from them, they don't have to share profit with the middleman (the FLGS) and can pass the savings on to you. What it has done, however, is made me refuse to buy APs, and just about any non-WoTC RPG print material for that matter, from game stores.

My most recent experience, and final straw, was I was browsing the 5e section at one of my local FLGS and came across Trail of the Aprentice by Legendary Games. It looked like a great adventure path to play with my sons and I bought it on impulse. After looking through it at home, I immediately had buyers remorse. Not because of the content--it looks like it will be a great tier I campaign to play with kids. But the maps printed in it, while nice looking, are pretty much useless for play. You can't easily remove them from the book and use them. They won't photocopy well. You need the PDF to turn them into battlemaps, handouts, DM references, etc. They don't sell a map pack for the AP, so I would need to buy the entire PDF for $30. If I were to by the book and PDF bundle from their website, I'd only pay $10 for the PDF.

Paizo does the same thing.

Kobold Press is better if you only want the maps. While buying the hardcover books gives you a discount on the pdf (free in the case of Book of Lairs) that you would not get if you buy it from a FLGS, the map pack is a single price. So you can by the hard cover from a FLGS and buy just the maps from the Kobold Press store and not feel slighted.

About the only APs I would buy at a FLGS are WoTC publications. Because they don't sell PDF versions, so it doesn't matter. You can buy map packs for some of the APs from the cartographers' websites, but these are independent of the book sales, so they will cost you the same no matter where you bought the book.

Have to say, that I just do not trust buying books from a FLGS anymore. You pay more for the book and you get no discount on any digital content. It is rather sad, because I think that the FLGS is still important to the hobby. If I owned a FLGS, I would be far more inclined to support Adventurer's League over PFS, because WoTC doesn't create incentives to not buy from the FLGS and they even create material that you can ONLY get at FLGS (such as the awesome alternative cover to Volo's Guide to Monsters).

The FLGS has become Best Buy. You go there to look at the products, but you end up buying on line. Hope FLGS do a better job reinventing themselves than Best Buy.
Well, mostly they tend to be board game and card game stores with some shelves for RPG material, and at their main job my FLGS is quite excellent (that and providing play space for all games they carry).

WotC is just about the only RPG publisher who isn't undermining local stores, because D&D is a value-add to their Magic relationships.

Sent from my BLU LIFE XL using EN World mobile app

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Pelgrane Press supports your local FLGS with their Bits and Mortar program. (http://site.pelgranepress.com/index.php/tag/bits-and-mortar/) Anything you buy from a physical store they will give you the PDF for free.

The store needs to be part of the Bits-and-Mortar program, but it's free for the store. And if you buy from a store and find out they aren't, Pelgrane is usually cool about it and will give it to you anyway, at least the first time. Amazon and online not-so-much - this is mainly to support FLGS.

Not the biggest publisher, but what they do have is high quality.

MNblockhead

I've seen Bits and Mortar mentioned before. Looks like a great program. Nice to see Mongoose Games, John Wick, and other publishers I respect. Hope more publishers and FLGS jump on board.

Like Blue said, check out the Bits & Mortar program and with your local stores to see if they are a part of it. One example of a publisher that works with this program is Cubicle 7. Normally, if you pre-order a physical book from them, you get the pdf of the book free. If you pre-order the physical book from your local store, and they are part of the program, you still get the pdf for free.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
You could get a scanner, a copy of GIMP, and handle the e-map production out of your physical books yourself. The scanner I use is actually also my printer. Cost me only about $70 for the hardware, nothing for GIMP. And I don't have to spend extra on PDFs for the maps only about half of which we're apt to use.

MNblockhead

You could get a scanner, a copy of GIMP, and handle the e-map production out of your physical books yourself. The scanner I use is actually also my printer. Cost me only about $70 for the hardware, nothing for GIMP. And I don't have to spend extra on PDFs for the maps only about half of which we're apt to use.

I have a scanner, GIMP, and various cartography software. But work and life has made it difficult to spend the time on prep that I used to. For me, paying $10 for a map pack, especially one that is print ready, is SO worth it. I was VERY impressed with Kobold Press's map pack for book of lairs. $10 and I have all the maps for all the locations in the Book of Lairs and when I need a battlemap, I just make sure I have enough color ink and card stock and I print it. Still have to trim the white space, but would have to do that anyway.

If I want to put the map in a VTT or RealmWorks, even easier.

Kobold Press has set the standard for me.

If RealmWorks ever gets its Content Market up and running, I'll definitely be looking for adventures in that format. Having most of the prep done for me in terms of maps, hero labs, revealable content, etc. will be so nice. Only issue will be pricing. I still like to have the books for some of the larger APs. Easier and more relaxing for me to read through them and get the big picture, even if I am going to run them from RealmWorks. But then I'll basically be buying the content twice. Same with other tools like Fantasy Grounds with 5e content. Still, the time saved and convenience at table makes it worth it. For shorter adventure modules, I wouldn't bother with printed material at all.

My FLGS also supports the Bits & Mortar program. On the converse, I don’t have a use for PDFs, but it’s a cool value-added-service nonetheless.

That is quite cool of Legendary Games to give you a discount on the PDF, though.

MNblockhead

My FLGS also supports the Bits & Mortar program. On the converse, I don’t have a use for PDFs, but it’s a cool value-added-service nonetheless.

That is quite cool of Legendary Games to give you a discount on the PDF, though.

Yeah, it was very cool of them. Turned me from, "I like this book" to "I like this company." There are lots of arguments in the Paizo forums, Realmworks forums, etc., about book buyers not feeling the love with digital-product pricing. While I can logically accept the economic arguments, it is important not to dismiss the emotive reactions. Also, I do want to support FLGS and want to see them continue to stock RPG print material. I know that it won't/can't be the main source of income, but it supports the hobby. Folks can meet to play, introduce new players, who can go and by rules, etc. there. As much as I track kickstarter and new-product announcements it is still often the act of browsing shelves and paging through books that convinces me to buy.

Remove ads