• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fey power source

So Shadow will be a power source, eventually, and presumably this means that characters draw power from the energies of that plane...

So what about the Feywild? Could energies be drawn from that plane, and for what purpose?

I don't know what has been definitively said about the primal power source, but the Feywild may be an appropriate power source for Druids and Bards. Druids because of the connection to nature, and by extension, the fey, and Bards because the Feywild would be a good example of a power source for them that is neither arcane, nor divine. Fey seem to have an affinity for music in some cases, so it would seem to make sense.

But... barbarians. Linking their power source to the fey seems kind of odd. But then again, it is the FeyWILD we are talking about, and if things like animal totems exist in the feywild, then perhaps this isn't such a strange power source after all.

Maybe the Primal power source IS the feywild. Maybe they haven't really decided yet.

Or, perhaps I am getting carried away with needless symmetry. But I don't think I am. I will let you guys be the judge.

And, one last thing occurred to me... It has probably occurred to some of you as well.

Astral Sea-> Divine
Shadowfell-> Shadow
Feywild-> Primal
Elemental Chaos-> Arcane

Imban

First Post
Psionic powers don't have a planar association... yet, and it's known? that Warlocks have abilities that let them draw on the Nine Hells (which are in the Astral Sea) and the Far Realm. I don't think 4e's going with power sources that match up with the default cosmology so neatly.

Raith5

Adventurer
Raduin711 said:
So Shadow will be a power source, eventually, and presumably this means that characters draw power from the energies of that plane...

So what about the Feywild? Could energies be drawn from that plane, and for what purpose?

I don't know what has been definitively said about the primal power source, but the Feywild may be an appropriate power source for Druids and Bards. Druids because of the connection to nature, and by extension, the fey, and Bards because the Feywild would be a good example of a power source for them that is neither arcane, nor divine. Fey seem to have an affinity for music in some cases, so it would seem to make sense.

But... barbarians. Linking their power source to the fey seems kind of odd. But then again, it is the FeyWILD we are talking about, and if things like animal totems exist in the feywild, then perhaps this isn't such a strange power source after all.

I agree. Barbarians should be a martial power class. If Rangers are are martial ( and IMO they should be) an not nature then barbarians should certainly be. Fey (even if feral) inspired barbarians are a bit weird. In 2nd edition they needed to be umpteenth level even to associate with magic using classes and magic.

Last edited:

Raith5

Adventurer
Steely Dan said:
Barbarians will be sharing the same power source as druids – Primal.

Primal sounds better! I had this vision of barbarians wearing sequins and laurels in their hair.

I wonder if Primal be drawn from the Feywild or a prime material plane 'nature' kind or force ( or left unspecified)?

Imban said:
Psionic powers don't have a planar association... yet, and it's known? that Warlocks have abilities that let them draw on the Nine Hells (which are in the Astral Sea) and the Far Realm. I don't think 4e's going with power sources that match up with the default cosmology so neatly.

good point. I forgot about the nine hells in the astral sea. So the planar paralell doesn't work... I am actually kind of glad. More freedom for design.

So now that the planar mandate thing is out of the way... That doesn't necessarily mean that the feywild isn't the originator of the primal power source.

Steely Dan

Banned
Banned
Raith5 said:
I wonder if Primal be drawn from the Feywild or a prime material plane 'nature' kind or force ( or left unspecified)?

I really don't think there will be any particular planar connection with power sources.

Warlocks are arcane, yet they can make feral, diabolic and far realm pacts I believe.

Steely Dan said:
Barbarians will be sharing the same power source as druids – Primal.

I have heard this before, but I can't find any info on the 4e info page... where is this from, anyway? Do you know?

Also, primal may mean a feywild connection... or it may not... just thinking out loud.

Steely Dan said:
I really don't think there will be any particular planar connection with power sources.

Warlocks are arcane, yet they can make feral, diabolic and far realm pacts I believe.

I believe there are references to infernal, fey, and star pacts...

wait, fey?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads