• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fey Warlocks, tell me about them

Wepwawet

Explorer
I've been away from 4E for the last couple years. I've had no chance of playing, and with all the new options I just stopped following all the stuff I could create with it.

But now I may be able to start a new group, and I want to do a Fey Warlock.

Apparently there's the Fey Hexblade and the Fey of the White Well Hexblade.
What are they about? What's cool about them? What makes them different? What can I do with them?

Zaphling

First Post
I've been away from 4E for the last couple years. I've had no chance of playing, and with all the new options I just stopped following all the stuff I could create with it.

But now I may be able to start a new group, and I want to do a Fey Warlock.

Apparently there's the Fey Hexblade and the Fey of the White Well Hexblade.
What are they about? What's cool about them? What makes them different? What can I do with them?

The feys are powerful entities that any warlock can make a pact with. The fey warlock, the original warlock, grabs his from them and mostly has charm or illusion effects.

The hexblade is another type of warlock, although a subclass, or you can just call it another warlock build, that focuses on melee combat. They have a unique feature that lets them use a special melee weapon for their attacks.

The White Well pact is still a fey pact, although a very very specific fey patron. Basically, when you take the fey pact, the term fey is generic enough for you to create your own patron for fluff. The white well fey is an example of a specific patron, although it has its own game mechanics.

Just to add to the overwhelming choices you already have, there is also an upcoming fey pact binder. A binder is a type of warlock that is somewhat opposite on how a typical warlock got its power. Where a warlock swore a pact to a patron, a binder forced a patron/s to give him powers using strong binding rituals.

Kzach

Banned
Banned
If you want to play a Binder, I highly recommend making one up and then ditching it completely and remaking it as a regular warlock. It will have just as much flavour and twice as much punch.

Wepwawet

Explorer
If you want to play a Binder, I highly recommend making one up and then ditching it completely and remaking it as a regular warlock. It will have just as much flavour and twice as much punch.

No, not really. I just want to play something Fey, but thanks for the advice.

So, the Hexblade is nothing more than a Warlock-flavoured Soulknife?
What about curse and pact boon?

Last edited:

Zaphling

First Post
No, not really. I just want to play something Fey, but thanks for the advice.

So, the Hexblade is nothing more than a Warlock-flavoured Soulknife?
What about curse and pact boon?

The hexblade is 3e's Complete Warrior's hexblade. Anyhow, they are similar to the soulknife except they can only conjure one weapon, whereas soulknifes can conjure anything he can think of.

Wepwawet

Explorer
I was really looking for a description of this subclass and it's mechanics and stuff that it can do. In a 4e context.
I have no idea of what the 3.x hexblade is. I had already abandoned that edition when this class came out, so I've never read about it, played it or seen it played :blush:

But anyway, what I gather is that the original version of the Fey Warlock is the most interesting to play. In both mechanics and flavour.)

Last edited:

Almost certainly. It's possible the Fey Binder is a blinder of a class.

Fey Warlocks are low damage strikers who excel at taking one enemy and making sure they can't do anything while you beat them to a pulp. Always replace Eldritch Blast with Eldritch Strike (for one thing it really allows you to exploit Eyebite by walking up to your target while invisible to them and threatening them with OAs). Level 1 encounter power gives the target -4 or so to hit for one round (picture what this does to a poor dragon) and level 7 makes you and all allies invisible to the target for one round.

Ryujin

Legend
Feylocks, based on the original 4e model, are incredibly annoying to opponents. They don't do a lot of damage. They teleport with multiple powers and whenever a cursed opponent drops. If you use some of the optional feats then you can teleport an opponent a number of squares based on how many curse damage dice you don't apply for damage, when you hit a cursed opponent.

I played a Feylock for 20 levels and the other players never felt that I was carrying my weight, from a standpoint of taking out opponents. At least not until I hit Paragon and picked up a second pact (Dark). Still I was bouncing all over the battlefield, hoisting opponents into the air where they couldn't do any damage, making the whole party invisible to an opponent, and lots of other helpful things.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads