• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fiendish Codex I: Hordes of the Abyss

Erik Mona

Adventurer
Alzrius said:
(and I'm somewhat dubious about the fact that Erik Mona seems to take an active dislike for the Planescape demon lords, such as Pale Night).
!

Well, you've got to admit that Pale Night is ludicrously lame. And a very typical example of the slap-dash approach Planescape often took with matters related to demons and devils. Graz'zt and Orcus brothers? Sure, that sounds like a good idea.

--Erik

IronWolf

blank
2006 is already shaping up to be an expensive year. Lots of good titles coming out from WotC and then there is Ptolus from Monte Cook next year too!

Shemeska

Adventurer
Erik Mona said:
Well, you've got to admit that Pale Night is ludicrously lame. And a very typical example of the slap-dash approach Planescape often took with matters related to demons and devils. Graz'zt and Orcus brothers? Sure, that sounds like a good idea.

--Erik

Except it never said that Erik. Graz'zt was Pale Night's progeny, along with Lupercio and Vucarik. But Orcus never was, and Planescape didn't claim he was. Page 61 and 62 of Faces of Evil if you wanted to reread that section.

You're entitled to the opinion, but slap dash? It gave us the most comprehensive look at the fiends in DnD both before or since.

Last edited:

catsclaw227

First Post
IronWolf said:
2006 is already shaping up to be an expensive year. Lots of good titles coming out from WotC and then there is Ptolus from Monte Cook next year too!

Yea..... (big sigh) How the heck am I gonna justify my spending next year?

Erik Mona

Adventurer
Shemeska said:
Except it never said that Erik. Graz'zt was Pale Night's progeny, along with Lupercio and Vucarik. But Orcus never was, and Planescape didn't claim he was.

Really? I concede that I may have misremembered that, and I can't find the specific reference in my notes, but I could have sworn it is suggested somewhere. In any event, it's just the ravings of an old demon, so who's to say one way or the other?

Shemeska said:
You're entitled to the opinion, but slap dash? It gave us the most comprehensive look at the fiends in DnD both before or since.

Crack open "Faces of Evil" and take a close look at the credits. I'm quite familiar with the subject matter, and have been for a while.

I appreciate that you think I am entitled to my opinion. Surely a blanket defense of all things Planescape is just as foolish as a blanket condemnation, no?

--Erik

Shemeska

Adventurer
Erik Mona said:
Really? I concede that I may have misremembered that, and I can't find the specific reference in my notes, but I could have sworn it is suggested somewhere.

Not in anything I'm aware of. *shrugs*

Crack open "Faces of Evil" and take a close look at the credits. I'm quite familiar with the subject matter, and have been for a while.

I'm aware of the compilation of pre-Planescape material you wrote up for Colin McComb that got you a thanks in the book credits.

Pale Night is fascinating for any number of reasons other than her progeny, in any case. Honestly, a semi-spectral matron figure, ancient beyond worlds and words, ruling from a tower of bones, consort to a hundred lords, mother to a thousand young... where is the poetry in your soul that this doesn't grab you?

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads