• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fiendish Codex II next month--Any scoop/rumors/etc.?

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Joe,

Nice! :) I like Hellboy.

RJ,

Wow this makes me want the book even more! I hope she's not dead but if she is...oh well. More power for Moloch! ;)

joshhg

First Post
Well, according to November Previews, we can confirm a number of new feats, four new prestige classes, one new race, new devils, the ability to customize old devils, and more.

Well, I'm not too happy about the new prestige classes, but as I don't expect anything like the Black Cult of Amn in this one, that's ten and a half pages that can be used. I just wish there was a bit less crunch then what is apparent.

But who knows, I may be suprised. Either way, I'm sure I'll like it.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
All I care about is the fluff. The crunch matters little since it didn't bother me that much about the lack of it in Hordes of the Abyss.

Ripzerai

Explorer
Here are the November Previews.

Some comments on the excerpt:

Demonic invasions into Baator have never gotten farther than this layer, primarily because powerful magic inherent in the plane prevents demons from teleporting to any layer lower than one that they currently control.

This makes sense to me, in general, but I think they failed to consider that Stygia is exposed to all the other lower planes via the River Styx. So demons can invade that layer without needing to teleport.

Reporting directly to Bel are the formidable pit fiend generals known as the Dark Eight.

This is the reverse of prior canon, where Bel reported to the Dark Eight rather than the other way around. The idea was that he owed the Dark Eight for his support in his coup against his predecessor, and Asmodeus tolerated his ascension with the understanding that he would continue to fulfill his prior duties leading troops in Dagos' ministry. This keeps him too busy to cause Asmodeus any trouble.

Each of these generals commands the forces contributed by one layer of the Nine Hells.

At least in prior canon, this was true during the Reckoning, but hasn't been the case for thousands of years. Of the Eight, only Dagos continues to be anything like a general, and he commands all the legions of Baator, not just those on one layer. The others are in Malsheem heading vast C.S. Lewis-inspired infernal ministries, which is far more interesting.

When his final plans fall into place, Asmodeus intends to punish his former masters of the celestial sphere for daring to look down upon the foot soldiers who did all the dirty work

So does this book give Asmodeus a firm, objective backstory? And it's something to do with him being banished from the celestial realm? How dreary.

Based on the little that's been revealed so far, I think I may skip this book.

Last edited:

glass

(he, him)
JoeGKushner said:
I've heard that since most games only get to 7th-10th level, that the devil lords will be CR 12 will notes on how to increase their CR for those playing higher levels. :p
You're a bad, bad man! :D :p

glass.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Ripzerai said:
Here are the November Previews.

So does this book give Asmodeus a firm, objective backstory? And it's something to do with him being banished from the celestial realm? How dreary.

Based on the little that's been revealed so far, I think I may skip this book.

i wouldn't quite make such a judgement just yet, though i would agree that this last part in particular sounds troubling.

although i never liked the GtH version of Asmodeus, i like it a whole lot better than making him a former celestial (or even the former servant of celestials). :confused:

sckeener

First Post
BOZ said:
i wouldn't quite make such a judgement just yet, though i would agree that this last part in particular sounds troubling.

although i never liked the GtH version of Asmodeus, i like it a whole lot better than making him a former celestial (or even the former servant of celestials). :confused:

I think I am going to be sick. I've gone from must buy to browse at store....

I wonder if it is too late to change my x-mas list.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
it never was a must-by for me, but let's just say my critical eye is going to be more cautious than it would have been otherwise...

Zaukrie

New Publisher
See, I thought the previews made me more likely to buy, if it is possibel to go from yes, for sure to a higher level of yes for sure.

I don't generally like the Judeo Christian influence on D&D as D&D is polytheistic (churches shaped like crosses never made sense to me in D&D for example), but I like the concept of fallen celestials quite a bit.

sckeener

First Post
BOZ said:
it never was a must-by for me, but let's just say my critical eye is going to be more cautious than it would have been otherwise...

I'm still hopeful, but I've got a more critical eye now too. Considering how much I liked T&A , I'll remain hopeful since Robert J. Schwalb is involved.

but this turn in events is making my stomach do flips.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads