• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fiendish Codex II next month--Any scoop/rumors/etc.?

Psion

Adventurer
JoeGKushner said:
I've heard that since most games only get to 7th-10th level, that the devil lords will be CR 12 will notes on how to increase their CR for those playing higher levels. :p

/me points to Eradanis' post on page 1.

tsk tsk!

paradox42

First Post
Chalk up another vote for naming the Hag Countess Lilith. I think the name fits quite well, assuming she can take a beautiful form now and again (honestly I don't recall whether previous versions of her could). Presumably she has Polymorph os some new PHB2-compatible equivalent of it; perhaps that could be used for such an effect.

Shemeska

Adventurer
Nightfall said:
Personally I wish she's just a) accept the change to Baaztu

The BoVD said she was an actual Night Hag, though LE rather than NE. As such I think it gives a really good opportunity to ask 'why is she in Baator in the first place?'. Really, given her power what's the story behind her ideological seperation from the rest of her sisters? Is she in Baator by her own choice? I figure she might be there as a pawn of Cegilune seeking to weasle into the politics of the Baatezu, or perhaps she was exiled by Cegilune and her rise to power is only part of a ploy to eventually usurp the position of her former ruler.

Personally, I ended up using in my own campaign that Malagard/The Hag Countess was originally in Baator in self-imposed exile, being the sole survivor of the cabal of Night Hags who were responsible for the elevation of the Yugoloth Lord Xenghara 'the Angel of Desolation'. Following the end of his contractual obligation to the hags who had engineered his transition to a unique form he smiled and butchered them, but for whatever reason Malagard survived and fled into Baator, forever deprived of any chance to return home, given the unique 'loth's connection to the Waste perhaps allowing him to know exactly where she and her sisters were on the plane at any given time. [I also played with the idea that the hags had toyed with his memories, crafting an entirely new personality and set of memories for the 'loth, and it was out of rage, despair and self-doubt that he killed them].

I'd like to see how Schwalb and co. handle the Hag Countess and her unique status among the other Lords of the 9 being that she never was a true child of Baator (not that the Baatezu are either, mind you), yet she has managed to rule over an entire layer.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Shem,

Yeah well true baazetu or no, I think if a guy like Pazuzu and Pale Night can change sides (so to speak) it would be nice for the "lady" Lilith to do the same. :p :)

Boz,

With Joe it's hard to say...but I'm feeling a yes coming on. :)

Paradox,

She's a freaking Lord of the Nine! If she can't shapechange, she's certainly not going to be much good at keeping her hold on the 7th Circle. :p

rjs

First Post
I can't say anything, naturally, but I will tell you that Herr Laws and I came up with a way to take care of the Hag Countess. To be honest, I haven't seen the manuscript in almost a year, so I'm just as eager to see this beast as you are.

JoeGKushner

First Post
rjs said:
I can't say anything, naturally, but I will tell you that Herr Laws and I came up with a way to take care of the Hag Countess. To be honest, I haven't seen the manuscript in almost a year, so I'm just as eager to see this beast as you are.

Take care of her eh? To quote the Goon comic, "Knife to the eye!" :p

For those not reading the Goon, that was during the crossover with Hellboy delivered by the sidekick to a flying squid.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads