D&D General Fifty Years

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
Happy belated birthday!

My first memory was playing with a group of friends after school back in ‘81 or so. I think I was running a cleric. We were lured into an ambush by a bunch of leocrottas on the way to the dungeon and never even lived to see it.

To this day those buggers give me the creeps.

Larnievc

Hero
I turn 50 today.

On the one hand, it doesn't bother me at all, but on the other hand, I'm being reflective on the subject.

For example, not that I believe in destiny, but I enjoy serendipity: Maybe I was destined to play D&D?

One of the history books on the subject - I think it was Game Wizards - said that Gary packaged up D&D to send it to the printers TODAY (50 years ago!)

The same day I was born!

Me & D&D grew up together, though I was 12 before I played it. My fighter had green slime dumped on his head. That's pretty much all I remember from that first game. What's your first D&D memory?
I turned 50 a few weeks ago too. I started playing at 12 with the Red Box set. I was the DM and I still am (cries in Forever DM). My earliest memory is adapting the Dragon Warriors RPG adventures for a Basic D&D game at school. I found D&D through the Fighting Fantasy books that had an advert in the back for What Is Dungeons & Dragons?

Last edited:

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Fitz helped inspire me to write about what D&D meant to me in the various phases of life I played it in.

I'll share it here, because I have a feeling several of you feel similar in the 80s and 90s.

Remove ads