D&D General Fifty Years

Stormonu

Legend
I played the hell out of that! Ha!
The struggle was real...
1705974934896.gif

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
The struggle was real...
View attachment 344215
The kicker?

This is the first I have seen it in color!!!

We had a black and white tiny TV for some years after the big color cabinet went out!

It was like winning the lottery when dad took us across town to buy a color tv. To boot, he also spring for cable and I watched Star Wars over over and over!

Here I sit with two 4K big TVs and the wonder does not compare to the Atari days…

JEB

Legend
First D&D memory? Getting the Fiend Folio (and the less interesting 1E Player's Handbook) from a yard sale, around age 8 or so. Loved the Folio, spent the summer after making up my own monsters in the same style.

First D&D game? Age 14, running a game for my friend and my little brother. Very loosely based on the Haunted Keep sample dungeon from the '81 Basic Rules, using the newly acquired AD&D 2E rulebooks ('95 revision). They encountered an insane gnome ("Have you seen my golden chariot?" he demanded), and later my brother goaded a room full of neanderthals into chasing them. Good times.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
This whole thread makes me want to play! My brother and kids want me to DM them
This weekend…done!

The ancient memories we are all talking about here are the memories I hope to make for my kids.

I had paper and pencil…they get my fancy miniature and homemade terrain…they will have no more fun than I did…but maybe no
Less.

One of my teen’s friends dropped by and was fascinated and was offering suggestions. If I go out a D&D disciple it will be a gaming life well lived!!!

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
HBD to all who will celebrate a birthday this year along with D&D's 50th, as well as Fitz and Els and any others who share yesterday with a purported milestone in D&D's journey into the collective consciousness

My first memory was of a classmate in 7th grade science (probably 1977, maybe early 1978) with some crazy drawing/map on a piece of graph paper. When I asked him what it was, he told me it was for a game called Dungeons & Dragons. Fast forward 6-12 months and I have a vague memory of going through B1 using the Holmes rules and the AD&D Monster Manual, with either my friend Rick or Brian as DM. I remember almost none of my characters except for a Lawful Evil monk that we played in an "evil" campaign and fought all the "good" monsters in the monster manual - or at least tried to...

Oofta

Legend
The kicker?

We had a black and white tiny TV for some years after the big color cabinet went out!

It was like winning the lottery when dad took us across town to buy a color tv. To boot, he also spring for cable and I watched Star Wars over over and over!

Here I sit with two 4K big TVs and the wonder does not compare to the Atari days…

Talk about memories...my mom took us kids to visit family for the day, leaving my dad at home. When we came home he was watching TV. Took us kids a few minutes to realize he wasn't watching our old black and white TV, it was a new color TV. 😀

Stormonu

Legend
The kicker?

Man, that reminds me - we had one of those old 70 lb. B&W TVs with a phonograph built into the top and huge vacuum tubes in it. I remember we went to Magnavox to get a new color TV. California Lottery had just started and we got 100 tickets to go with the TV (and rented Star Wars to boot from the Magnavox Video Club....). We scratched off all the tickets ... and won $10. Oh well, Star Wars was good, though!

Remove ads