• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fight On! Magazine

tankschmidt

Explorer
Philotomy Jurament said:
I thought it was excellent. I'll be inserting it into my own Cromlech Tor megadungeon as a sub-level, somewhere.

Anyone who hasn't seen Melan's Khosura maps should check them out; they're inspiring. Also check out his adventures; a couple of my favorites are:

You can find The House of Rogat Demazien here too: http://www.judgesguild.com/fans/rogat_demazien.pdf

Great stuff all around and very inspiring for the novice dungeon designer. Thanks a bunch, Melan!

HelloChristian

First Post
Calithena said:
There will be PDFs available within 1-4 months after the print release, and we are looking into other ways to get print copies to people, but for now, this is all there is. Sorry we can't get the pricepoint lower!

Print zines are still a viable medium, although most zines revolve around politics, music, life, etc. I receive 2-3/week in my mailbox. Having said that, the common print zine format is saddle stitched (stapled in the spine) digest format with cardstock cover and about 32 interior pages. (8 sheets of 8.5" x 11" folded in half).

Most zines in that format sell for $2-$3. Part of the savings comes from reduced weight for mailing and DIY copying, folding and stapling. If you ever want to reduce cost (but also be forced to reduce pagecount) the digest format might work.

I wish you luck with your project. Print zines are the bestest!

RFisher

Explorer
Tewligan said:
I can understand people wanting pdf's to lower the price, but damn, I do love holding a real magazine rather than just scrolling through text on my laptop.

Most PDFs shouldn't be read on your laptop. They should be printed.

Too bad we can't all have duplex printers with built-in saddle-stitching.

...but that's neither here nor there...

w_earle_wheeler

First Post
HelloChristian said:
Most zines in that format sell for $2-$3. Part of the savings comes from reduced weight for mailing and DIY copying, folding and stapling. If you ever want to reduce cost (but also be forced to reduce pagecount) the digest format might work.

This is what I was thinking as well. While I love LuLu, a little DIY elbow grease still goes a long way. If the publisher wanted to and had the time, they could print out 30 or so copies at their local copy shop and either have them staple bound like a magazine right there or do it themselves. Heck, they could even comb bind them like the original ChainMail!

Of course, this involves taking orders yourself, probably via PayPal, and trips to the post office to mail them out.

kroh

First Post
I can see that for some price is an issue on something like this. It all comes down to what people are willing to pay for. They won't blow money on a paper mag but they will blow the same amount on a nine thousand calorie nightmare and a side of cholesterol at the local burger mill. Some peeps will fire off the sawbuck and let the electric bill slide...

All in the eye(s) of the beholder I guess...

When I get back I am going to give this a try.

Walt

Calithena

First Post
grodog said:
I bought FO! and it's quite good. For $6, it's a good old-school value, and I'm definitely looking forward to #2 :D

Thanks Gro, and Philotomy. Grodog, I'll try to call Russ soon.

Issue 2 is crazy-full of stuff, it's going to be much bigger and probably not much more money, so that's cool.

grodog

Hero
Calithena said:
Thanks Gro, and Philotomy. Grodog, I'll try to call Russ soon.

Muchas gracias!

Calithena said:
Issue 2 is crazy-full of stuff, it's going to be much bigger and probably not much more money, so that's cool.

Any plans for a 4-issue subscription rate?

Remove ads