D&D 5E Fighter/cleric multi-classing-where to go?

asjwolverine

First Post
I am playing a Mountain Dwarf Polearm Master and want to multi-class with the war or tempest cleric. How many levels of fighter should i take before taking the first level of cleric and how many levels should i take as a cleric and still build the fighter side? I am wanting the ability to cast spells to protect myself and inflict additional damage. I am at level 4 for fighter and thought that multi-classing with a cleric would add a side to my character to help absorb some damage, heal wounds and deal extra damage.I know that sounds "all over the place" but I am wanting to build a bad ass character that has some magic ability while specializing in Polearms

bid

First Post
Do you have Wis13 or better? You need it to MC.
Do you have Wis16 or better? You need a good DC to attack with spells.

You should get fighter 5 for extra attack. The rest can wait.

For damage, you want to reach cleric 8 for divine strike. You will do less damage than fighter 11, but you will have spells to compensate.

Tempest domain has fog cloud and shatter. The level 1 feature is nice defense. Destructive wrath is used when the target miss his save.

War domain has magic weapon and crusader's mantle. The level 1 feature uses the bonus action, but you will have polearm master. Guided strike works well with GWM -5/+10.

asjwolverine

First Post
I have a 14 wisdom. should i bump that up then? Maybe stop taking fighter levels after 5? i just like the idea of being a "terrifying" type fighter

bid

First Post
I have a 14 wisdom. should i bump that up then? Maybe stop taking fighter levels after 5? i just like the idea of being a "terrifying" type fighter
It's not that bad. Some features will be limited to twice per long rest, your heal spells will only get a +2, and you cannot attack enemies with spells.

General spells:
- cure wounds heals for 1d8+2
- command has a DC of 12-13
- spiritual weapon hits on +4/+5

Tempest:
- wrath works twice per day, good enough for a defensive feature.
- fog cloud works perfectly
- shatter has a DC of 14-15, you will do half-damage.

War:
- war priest works twice per day, but you don't use it because you have polearm master.
- magic weapon works perfectly
- crusader's mantle works perfectly

I would stop at fighter 5, reach cleric 4 to boost Wis16. If your DC is still too low for your need, use fighter 6 to boost Wis18. Otherwise, delay it until you need a feat.

so:
- fighter 5
- fighter 5 / cleric 4
- fighter 6 / cleric 4 (fighter 6 if necessary)
- fighter 5? / cleric 8

You didn't say if you went champion, battle master or eldritch knight.
You didn't say if you are Str16 or Str18.
You didn't say if you have polearm master.

Last edited:

zaratan

First Post
you can get shillelagh too, use quarterstaff and dump str, but you'll not get reach.
you can dump (only 13) Wis too, if you're not use spell to attack, but I don't think you would for tempest cleric in that case.

mellored

Legend
Plenty of cleric spells don't requires Wis, so it's not much of a necessity. Like bless, sanctuary, create food and water, guidance, revivify, etc...

Plus any spell that does 1/2 of a miss (spiritual guardian), isn't hurt too much by lower Wis.

asjwolverine

First Post
so it looks like I should go to fighter 5 before taking any cleric levels? I really like the idea of a Fighter/Cleric and want to go more offensive spells to boost the fighter part.

mellored

Legend
Fighter doesn't really need more offense, they can deal the most damage in the game. Taking cleric only reduced offense to gain support.

Remove ads