D&D 5E Fighter/cleric multi-classing-where to go?

RulesJD

First Post
Fighter doesn't really need more offense, they can deal the most damage in the game. Taking cleric only reduced offense to gain support.

Past Fighter 11 you don't pick up much offense. Level dips into Cleric are a great way to shore up some of the fighter weak points (no Bless for GWM/SS, Healing Word for helping the party, Guidance for mini-Alert feat), as is a few levels of barbarian.

Kithas

First Post
I would advise going War cleric. Crusader's mantle and divine favor are incredible with the amount oif attacks you have. I would also advise waiting til fighter level 6 to mc so you have 2 asi's and extra attack. Once you get to 11 fighter 4 attacks per turn with divine favor is devastating.

bid

First Post
I would advise going War cleric. Crusader's mantle and divine favor are incredible with the amount oif attacks you have. I would also advise waiting til fighter level 6 to mc so you have 2 asi's and extra attack.
That fighter 6 ASI is planned to boost to Wis16 and will be useless until you get enough cleric spells to matter, which won't happen before cleric 4 anyway. Did you have a special use for that ASI that makes it mandatory earlier?

But yeah, war domain fits well with battlemaster.

Last edited:

RulesJD

First Post
so you think using cleric levels for defensive abilities is more useful than using the offensive spells to boost fighter abilities?

The benefits of Cleric are both offensive and defensive. Literally so for Guidance (more initiative is always better), Bless (Saves + attack), Divine Favor, Healing Word = more allies to do damage, etc.

Kithas

First Post
That fighter 6 ASI is planned to boost to Wis16 and will be useless until you get enough cleric spells to matter, which won't happen before cleric 4 anyway. Did you have a special use for that ASI that makes it mandatory earlier?

But yeah, war domain fits well with battlemaster.

Even before you get "more" cleric spells having a higher than 14 wis is gonna be big for you. With a 14 you are basically limited to things that don't require your wisdom. If you want to use guiding bolt, sacred flame etc you are taking a big risk because your spell attack bonus and save dc's are sub par for your level and your chances to hit or get an effect in without getting resisted are pretty slim. I'm having trouble with this currently on my ranger, his wis is only 14 and I can't rely on entangling strike at all, if it was higher even 1 point it would be much more effective. Spells like hold person etc are amazing at early levels and having a hefty spell save dc can be more useful than a maxed out damage stat in most cases.

bid

First Post
Spells like hold person etc are amazing at early levels and having a hefty spell save dc can be more useful than a maxed out damage stat in most cases.
Yes, this is why I was thinking you'd better get cleric 3 and hold person before boosting Wis.

You need cleric 1 to cast guiding bolt and cleric 2 allows you to cast guiding bolt a 3rd time, that extra time is more important than the +1 DC. Same thing for cleric 3 and its 4th level 1 slot.

Remove ads