• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fighter Question

Volin

First Post
There isn't a solid reason that we don't have any ranged defenders yet. I don't think ranged combat is entirely out of the question. However, as has been stated, this is nothing multiclassing couldn't fix. Just because they aren't in melee anymore doesn't mean they're not marked.

MarkB

Legend
I've done reasonably well with an Eladrin fighter who wields a Tratnyr and heavy shield, allowing him the flexibility to mix in some ranged basic attacks with his melee.

He's taken the Deft Hurler Style feat, which lets him substitute a free heavy thrown ranged attack for the secondary-target damage when using Cleave, and has recently acquired a Grasping Tratnyr, which essentially constitutes a particularly cheesyeffective ranged Encounter power for a Fighter.

EDIT:
There isn't a solid reason that we don't have any ranged defenders yet.
Arguably, certain Swordmage builds constitute a ranged Defender. They have to get fairly close in order to drop their marks on someone, but after that, staying at range is a reasonably good tactic for them.

Last edited:

Stalker0

Legend
You know how really need a ranged option? The cleric.

Fighters can at least chuck a javelin 15/30 squares away. If a cleric is down to at wills, he normally can't hit things past 5 squares.

FireLance

Legend
You know how really need a ranged option? The cleric.

Fighters can at least chuck a javelin 15/30 squares away. If a cleric is down to at wills, he normally can't hit things past 5 squares.
This is less of a problem for Strength clerics (they can chuck javelins, too), and even Wisdom clerics are advised to make Strength a tertiary ability. At low levels, a Strength 14 cleric with a javelin has an approximately 25% chance to hit most opponents 20 squares away, and can hit most opponents within 10 squares about a third of the time.

Altharos

First Post
He's taken the Deft Hurler Style feat, which lets him substitute a free heavy thrown ranged attack for the secondary-target damage when using Cleave, and has recently acquired a Grasping Tratnyr, which essentially constitutes a particularly cheesyeffective ranged Encounter power for a Fighter.

Sorry i heard too deft hurler + cleave combo but i can't find deft hurler feat in dragon magazines. Which number is in?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads