Fighter/Rogue/Barb?

Pinwheel

First Post
Hi folks, just wanted some advice on a quick build.
Normal Human, pointbuy array of 15/15/15/8/8/8, with human traits that puts me at 16/16/16/9/9/9, use the ABI from fighter for an 18.
Str: 18 Dex: 16 Con: 16 Int: 9 Wis: 9 Cha: 9
Fighter, Battle Master 5 for extra attacks, dueling and maneuvers.
Rogue, 2 for sneak attack, expertise (athletics and stealth) cunning action. Will eventually hit 3 for the extra D6.
Barbarian, 1 for unarmored defense and of course for rages. Use rapier to qualify for finesse while raging and attacking with strength.
Idea is to build a pure martial character with a number of options --- fair to strong attacks, maneuvers, ability to grapple and sneak well, 18AC.
Any obvious issues I'm missing? thoughts/advice?
Thanks!

Yunru

Banned
Banned
If you go for a whip you trade 2 damage per attack for reach. Something to consider.

Other than that, ewww normal human.
Any race is better than normal human, including variant human.

faria

First Post
The powergamer in me says going normal Human for 16s in all 3 of your main stats at the start is awesome. But I agree that you shouldn't go normal Human, even if this is the best and only way to do it. (If one of your main stats is CHR, then Half-Elves can get 16s in all 3 main stats too...but OP is building a Fighter, so normal Human is the only way to get this.)

The thing every powergamer forgets is this: Optimization isn't just about having the highest stats; you have to remember to optimize your fun too. You'll have more fun by picking unusual races and taking cool feats instead of capping your stats ASAP. Find the right balance between having high stats and roleplaying someone you'll enjoy.

If you really want Human, then I think Variant Human will be more optimized. Yeah, you'll drop DEX to 14 or something, but you'll get a new feat to play with, which will be more fun. By going normal Human over the Variant, you're basically sacrificing your first feat for +2 DEX. That's retarded. Especially since you're a STR character... Even IF you cared about stats more than anything, you should go Variant Human ANYWAY just to drop that free ASI into +2 STR for 18STR at level 1 with point buy. But even that's retarded. Take a real feat instead.

Last edited:

bid

First Post
Normal Human, pointbuy array of 15/15/15/8/8/8, with human traits that puts me at 16/16/16/9/9/9, use the ABI from fighter for an 18.
Whereas mountain dwarf could give you 18 14 18 8 10 8 with that level 4 ASI.

Unarmored defense does not work well for barbarian: Dex14 Con20 is no better than a non-magical half-plate.

pdegan2814

First Post
Even IF you cared about stats more than anything, you should go Variant Human ANYWAY just to drop that free ASI into +2 STR for 18STR at level 1 with point buy. But even that's retarded. Take a real feat instead.

Free ASI at level 1? Pretty sure you only get a free feat at Level 1, the wording in the PHB says nothing about a free ASI. You get two +1's over your base stats, plus a feat. You don't get a full extra ASI/Feat slot.

Kithas

First Post
Free ASI at level 1? Pretty sure you only get a free feat at Level 1, the wording in the PHB says nothing about a free ASI. You get two +1's over your base stats, plus a feat. You don't get a full extra ASI/Feat slot.
This is correct.
With a half-feat, ie Athlete, you can nab a +2 but thats the most you can get.

Remove ads