• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fighting Demons

Jeph

Explorer
Demons have ridiculous mobility, due to at will Greater Teleport and plane shifting magic. If the party wants to win the fight, they must, must, MUST have a way to counteract this: either dimensional anchors (which have a decent chance of bouncing off spell resistance), ways to follow (for instance, a Mirror of Mental Prowess or a crystal ball and a few extra prepared portation dwoemers), or a hefty motivation for the demon to stick around. Without that, the demon will simply flee the scene. And next time, it'll be ready.

xrpsuzi

First Post
About the teleporting factor.... My younger brother learned that the hard way. The demon disarmed him, took his pretty +4 bastard sword and teleported away.

Not that I'm giving the GM any ideas.... :)

sckeener

First Post
suzi yee said:
About the teleporting factor.... My younger brother learned that the hard way. The demon disarmed him, took his pretty +4 bastard sword and teleported away.

Not that I'm giving the GM any ideas.... :)

Even worse...have some Bar-Lgura snatch away weak willed players. It's only a CR5 which I find unbelievable...I mean a CR5 could be the boss fight for an adventure of four 1st level players! Just imagine the fighter snatched away to some dank dark hole to either be left to rot or forced to fight solo.

one by one the players could be snatched away and until the higher willed wizard or cleric is left to fight the demon alone.

Heck I can imagine a jungle town plagued by a single Bar-Lgura. The Bar-Lgura snatching away the unlucky to be forced to fight jungle animals unarmed. The players arrive only to have the same thing happen to them....all the players fighting lower CR creatures solo because the Boss fight Bar-Lgura enjoyes watching animals tear apart the players.

Whisper72

Explorer
Read up well as to the various powers and immunities of the Demon in question as the DM, forgetting something reduces the challenge vastly. Play the Demon smartly and completely to his strengths. He should gate in aid if at all possible. A well coordinating party of SIX players against a SINGLE opponent, may quickly overcome it. CR18 versus SIX 15th level players is sorta a small challenge in my book to begin with...

As for advice for the players? Start praying. Hard.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads