• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fighting the Gray Tide (Miniature Painting)

GamerforHire

Explorer
In addition to playing roleplaying and board games, I collect and game with both fantasy and historical miniatures. I just yesterday came to the firm conclusion that the “gray” and “lead” tides will never be conquered and that I need to sell off. Heresy, I know. But I 100% agree with OP’s assessment of how to proceed, except with the addition that the mountain may be too big to EVER get through.

I am prioritizing to paint stuff I need for near-future games. Second are those items that complete existing painted collections, and therefore may be needed and used. Third is to drink several bottles of whiskey and cry at contemplating step four—selling those 500 Bretonnian models for Warhammer that I don’t really need.

MGibster

Legend
It’s tough to see, but I used some UV resin to create that glassy eyeball look. I really need to decide what to do about the eyes on the stalks. I’m not painting irises and pupils on all that. I’ll probably go with different bright colors.

IMG_1946.jpeg

MGibster

Legend
In addition to playing roleplaying and board games, I collect and game with both fantasy and historical miniatures. I just yesterday came to the firm conclusion that the “gray” and “lead” tides will never be conquered and that I need to sell off. Heresy, I know. But I 100% agree with OP’s assessment of how to proceed, except with the addition that the mountain may be too big to EVER get through.
I think just about everybody with a craft type hobby ends up with a lot of extra bits and bops around the shop, half-finished projects, and projects that were never started. At my in-laws, there is evidence of an abundent woodworking and sewing hobby. I've talked to my mother-in-law and doing something about all the stuff she's collected over the years, I'm talking sewing magazines from the 70s-90s among other things, that my wife will need to take care of after she passes. My LGS occasionally hosts a miniatures swap where you can sell your minis to other people and receive store credit. I've sold a few of my miniatures this way. I haven't made any real money of course, but enough to pay for the miniature.

Mad_Jack

Legend
My LGS occasionally hosts a miniatures swap where you can sell your minis to other people and receive store credit.

On the Reaper Miniatures forum, we do the Box O' Goodwill - everyone who signs up gets divided into groups assigned to a box... The box starter fills up a USPS Medium Flat Rate Box with stuff they think other folks might like (that really cool wizard you bought on impulse that's been your "next project" for a year and a half, those fifteen extra goblins you bought for the game where everyone cancelled, the random bag of right arms holding ray guns that showed up instead of the brushes you ordered, etc.) and ships it to the next person on the list. They take out what they want, replace it with other stuff, and ship the box to the next person. Rinse and repeat. At the end of the circuit the box goes back to the first person, who takes out stuff they want and holds it til the next round.
Us folks who've been in the hobby for decades encourage the newer folks to pillage the hell out of the boxes and not worry too much about replacing it with an equal amount of stuff. We just finished up the latest round, so we'll probably be doing it again in a couple months...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads