• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Figurines of Wondrous Power!

Larrin

Entropic Good
I think you're more arguing that summoning is a low point of 4e, which is a fair opinion to have.

Me, i'm fine with it. It quickly limits the ridiculous "i have 12 actions per round between me and my summoned hoard of critters". Its restrictive, but the theory is that summoning shouldn't out shine not summoning. and I think this measure insures that, while still allowing summoning to be usable in reasonable amounts.

drothgery

First Post
Me, i'm fine with it. It quickly limits the ridiculous "i have 12 actions per round between me and my summoned hoard of critters". Its restrictive, but the theory is that summoning shouldn't out shine not summoning. and I think this measure insures that, while still allowing summoning to be usable in reasonable amounts.

Also note that this wasn't necesarilly a problem because 3.x summoning was overpowered (it generally wasn't, unless you got creative with the special abilities of summoned creatures), it was a problem because it meant the summoner was taking five or ten times as long as everyone else to complete his or her turn.

Mercule

Adventurer
I think you're more arguing that summoning is a low point of 4e, which is a fair opinion to have.
A bit of both, actually. I found the PHB magic item section to be particularly banal.

Yes, I want PCs to be defined by their abilities, not their equipment. But, if they have a signature weapon (Excalibur, for example), then I want to see it remain a signature weapon. If anything, the 4e magic items promote more trading up than 3.5 did.

My initial read of the bag of tricks really had me hopeful that they'd found a way to add some excitement to magic items. Realizing just how contrived and forcibly balanced the summoning items ended up being a huge let down.

Remove ads