• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Final Decisions

Star Wars or Modern?

• D20 Modern (Late 19th Century)

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Star Wars (Rebellion Era)

Votes: 4 57.1%

The_Universe

First Post
It's come down to this - I've managed to narrow down what I intend to run to the following two choices:

"You tell 'em I'm coming, and Hell's coming with me."

Welcome to the developing ground for a new campaign (currently untitled) set in the late 1800's of what, on the surface at least, appears to be the real world. We'll be using a combination of D20 Modern, Sidewinder: Recoiled, Grim Tales, Darwin's World, and D20 Past to help set the framework of this new campaign. The latter half of the 19th century was a strange confluence of the old and new worlds. Europe played out some of the last of their border wars while spreading colonies across the globe. Americans pursued their manifest destiny with an unbridled passion, and tamed an untamed continent in the process. By the end of the era, the world had become something that we could recognize as our own. But it took many brave, rough men and women to make it so.

With Victoria of England passed the last of many ancient traditions, and her death marks the birth of a recognizably modern earth. This is the era upon which we will focus. A time of war, sorrow, and heroism; a time of wilderness and civilization - a time of the last true frontiers.

But not all the wars made it into the history books. Some were fought on battlefields that few men will ever see. There is a world behind the world, and this will be part of our story, as well. Come with me, and make sure that old Colt Navy is loaded. There are things man was not meant to know. Kill them.

"Keep your distance, but don't look like you're trying to keep your distance. ...I don't know! Fly casual!"

Welcome to the developing ground for a new campaign (currently untitled) set in the beloved Star Wars universe. The Empire has ruled the galaxy for a generation, the Old Republic and the Jedi are little more than faded memories. The New Order is a harsh reality. But, not all the citizens of the galaxy are willing to take Emperor Palpatine's predations lying down. Word of rebellion spreads through the galaxy like wildfire, a burning hope for a better tomorrow. Two sectors in the outer rim are already in open rebellion, and those in the know whisper that they are merely part of something larger - a Rebel Alliance.

This is an era of stormtroopers, Star Destroyers, and starfighters. It is a time of war, rediscovery, and loss. It is a time of smugglers and blockade runners, royalty and regency, rogues and knights.

Life below the Empire's scanners isn't easy, but you've got a few tricks up your sleave. Tricks, and a ship. There's a life to be made in the shadows of the galaxy, live it like a pro.

The_Universe

First Post
I stuck one of the descriptions into the welcome thread, since this is (obviously) no longer the new home of a Kingdom of Ashes. However, I don't necessarily favor it over anything else. It's just the first one I wrote.

The_Universe

First Post
Any votes left out there? Can I have everyone interested in participating check in to let me know that they've voted (but feel free to keep your vote private).

Archon

First Post
i haven't voted yet. i think we should see how everyone reacts to a series of "shorts" before we have you commit to anything long term.

Xath

Moder-gator
I voted for the D20 modern because I'm uninterested in playing Star Wars. However, I have my concerns.

The thing I found out in Liz's game (fun though it was) is that it's extremely difficult to make an interesting female character in this time period. Gender and class restrictions mean that the options for women are signifigantly less than those for men. Will this be ignored? Set aside? Do we get to be special? Because I don't really anticipate great joy in playing a house wife or another nun.

The_Universe

First Post
You get to be special/exceptional, as is the premise with almost all roleplaying games, except maybe Paranoia and Call of Cthulhu.

You might encounter resistence from NPCs who's reactions will be loosely similar to how "real" people might react the adventuring woman, but it's not like the era is devoid of historical examples of such women, either. Nun's certainly don't make typical adventurers, and I don't really see why they're an official exception to the rule (I think the nun thing worked out for different reasons in Liz's game). Regardless, as with most games, the key is to do a little bit of thinking and come up with a background that makes sense, and will be fun. As long as you can meet those two tests, there's no worries.

Xath said:
The thing I found out in Liz's game (fun though it was) is that it's extremely difficult to make an interesting female character in this time period. Gender and class restrictions mean that the options for women are signifigantly less than those for men. Will this be ignored? Set aside? Do we get to be special? Because I don't really anticipate great joy in playing a house wife or another nun.

I don't believe that to be true at all.

I have been working on ideas for a potential character for Nico and - boy howdy - are there some awesome concepts. The 1920's in particular is an awesome time period: flappers, newly acquired sufferage, a raging women's movement, and - with WWI just ending - you could certainly write an excellent female that *had* been working while her man was off at war and was forced to give up her job upon his return (that would make for one FIESTY woman!).

Remove ads