• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Finally got to see Firefly

Aesmael

Explorer
Good to know the local network's keeping its commitments. Last I heard, about a year ago, was that it wouldn't be shown since it was cancelled in the U.S.
Thoughts after two episodes: Good show. Pretty. Easy to why it is called 'Firefly' class. The Alliance officers look like Imperial officers from Star Wars. Whedon seems to write a lot of characters very similar (to previous work, that is, not each other), but he isn't in Eddings' league. Probably has a lot more resonance in the U.S. with those very strong undertones of the civil war, which means nothing to me.

Either they are showing the episodes out of order (did the contract require them to treat it just like it was stateside?) or there were strange choices made, as characters in the 1st ep were shown arriving on the ship for the first time in the 2nd. 12:30 is too late to be showing it but perhaps just as well, if they don't want people to be disappointed when there are no more.

[Less related tangents] Channel 7 (the network showing it) still gets more credit from me for showing it in the first place, and for showing SG1 with somewhat regularity. Nine are evil, sadistic bastards for refusing to show me the last season of Farscape, still (worse, since iirc they had a part in making it! :mad: ) and for some reason halting their run of Enterprise after about a half-dozen episodes of season 3. Give them the benefit of the doubt and hope it is 'merely' a problem with the tapes not being delivered yet for whatever reason.

[Back on topic] Firefly has also reinforced my opinion that if you want to run a proper hardish sci-fi (or fantasy for that matter) series you want good character writers above all. Contrasts sharply with local children's series Silver Sun with dialogue so cliche-ridden it is almost possible to lip-synch on a first viewing.

Oh yes, about the language: The swearing in chinese reminds me of the languages in Alastair Reynolds' 'inhibitor sequence' with Russish being a blend of russian and english, and Canasian being french and mandarin. I am sure there are other precedents too, if anyone cares to mention them. Heinlein springs to mind, though I can't pin down why.
Can anyone say if it is cantonese or mandarin? My girlfriend is teaching me mandarin so if it is the latter, perhaps this time next year I will understand what they are saying :lol:

LightPhoenix

First Post
Aesmael said:
Either they are showing the episodes out of order (did the contract require them to treat it just like it was stateside?) or there were strange choices made, as characters in the 1st ep were shown arriving on the ship for the first time in the 2nd. 12:30 is too late to be showing it but perhaps just as well, if they don't want people to be disappointed when there are no more.
Probably they're showing them out of order. Fox (the station that aired it here, IIRC) probably just sent them the order they aired them in as the order they should be shown, and your station probably didn't bother to double check.

Chun-tzu

First Post
Two "first episodes" were made for the show. The pilot was 2-hours, but Fox thought it was too long, and made Joss create a new, shorter intro episode. It _is_ a little confusing, but there's nothing contradictory between the two episodes.

And stick with the show. It gets better. There are some really outstanding episodes on the way.

haiiro

First Post
I'd say just buy the DVD boxed set -- it's not pricy, and it's a great investment. Of course, Firefly is probably the best TV show I've ever seen, or at least in league with them, so I'm a bit biased. ;)

Aesmael

Explorer
Sorry if I wasn't clear, my impressions of the show itself were positive. Disappointment came from realising that we were getting the out-of-order pilotless treatment Fox gave.

Another comment: the captain (I haven't learned their names yet, except that I am presuming the doctor's sister is the one called River) reminds me a lot of O'Neill from SG1 with his comments and attitudes. That's a good thing.
And its fun that the space scenes are silent, except I can't help being reminded of the musings of a Reynolds character Redemption Ark, about how all the sci-fi flicks incorrectly portray space battles as silent. :)

Edit - True, and I think the DVDs have been available here for a while already. But I have a long shopping least and at least now there's something to put on those video tapes people keep giving me.

Last edited:

Chun-tzu

First Post
Aesmael said:
Sorry if I wasn't clear, my impressions of the show itself were positive. Disappointment came from realising that we were getting the out-of-order pilotless treatment Fox gave.

Well, speaking for me, I could have been a bit clearer also. The original two-hour pilot is pretty good. The other pilot (I suppose it's not technically a pilot) is decent. But there are some really, really good shows on the way. There's a reason we Firefly fans miss the show so much. I agree with haiiro, one of the best TV shows EVER. But all bias aside, the best is yet to come.

Acid_crash

First Post
Chun-tzu said:
Well, speaking for me, I could have been a bit clearer also. The original two-hour pilot is pretty good. The other pilot (I suppose it's not technically a pilot) is decent. But there are some really, really good shows on the way. There's a reason we Firefly fans miss the show so much. I agree with haiiro, one of the best TV shows EVER. But all bias aside, the best is yet to come.

I agree with the above, and just want to add in the Serenity movie coming out in April, 05. :D :) :D

Can't wait, the best is definately yet to come.

Staffan

Legend
Aesmael said:
Another comment: the captain (I haven't learned their names yet, except that I am presuming the doctor's sister is the one called River)
Captain - Malcolm Reynolds
Second-in-command - Zoë (married to Wash)
Pilot - Wash (married to Zoë)
Psycho thug - Jayne Cobb
Engineer - Kaylee
Preacher - Book
Companion - Inara
Doctor - Simon Tam
Psycho sister - River Tam

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I've been watching it again recently. It's surprising how visible "Whedon-esque scripting" can be. Characters often make comments which would fit right into Buffy or Angel. He certainly has a unique style.

jester47

First Post
Aesmael said:
Can anyone say if it is cantonese or mandarin? My girlfriend is teaching me mandarin so if it is the latter, perhaps this time next year I will understand what they are saying :lol:

Apparently Wash's (the Pilot) actor just makes up chinese sounding curses. So even then he won't make sense in any case.

Aaron.

Remove ads