Finally starting the last 3 books of The Wheel of Time

I actually preferred his three novels to most of the ones Jordan actually wrote. I'd love to have Sanderson go back and edit the rest of the series and see if he couldn't improve it.

NewJeffCT

First Post
I actually preferred his three novels to most of the ones Jordan actually wrote. I'd love to have Sanderson go back and edit the rest of the series and see if he couldn't improve it.

I think Jordan kind of lost control of the story midway through, but I think his first three books were better than the three Sanderson wrote at the end. But, that's just my opinion.

Orius

Legend
It's been my view for a while that RJ didn't have a very clear idea of how the story would develop from around Book 7 or 8 until the end of Book 10. And plot in those books probably could have been condensed down to 2 books.

Jhaelen

First Post
I think Jordan kind of lost control of the story midway through
If midway means after the second book, I agree :) In the third book, the story was already not going anywhere anymore. It contained 600 pages of setting fluff and a final chapter with a hint of an idea of a misty fog of a thought of maybe continuing the story a wee bit. Naturally, that was when I stopped reading.

NewJeffCT

First Post
If midway means after the second book, I agree :) In the third book, the story was already not going anywhere anymore. It contained 600 pages of setting fluff and a final chapter with a hint of an idea of a misty fog of a thought of maybe continuing the story a wee bit. Naturally, that was when I stopped reading.

I enjoyed the next few books after the first, but I also felt the main characters went from country bumpkins to incredibly powerful rather too quickly. Book 1, they're trudging all the way across the continent over a span of weeks - a few books later, they're zipping around from nation to nation using gateways. In book 1, a single trolloc was something to be reckoned with, and a Fade was an almost legendary monster that challenged Lan and Moiraine together. Later, Rand is using the One Power to slay trollocs and fades by the 10s of thousands. That's beyond epic levels and maybe even demi-godhood. Did Hercules kill foes en masse like that?

Most serious fans of the series consider book 6, Lord of Chaos, to be the best book of the series. (I'm not a serious fan - I think Eye of the World was the most enjoyable book of the series.)

(BTW, has anybody statted out trollocs and fades for D&D purposes? Using 3.5E rules, I'd give trollocs 2 or 3 HD and a +4 STR bonus due to their large size.)

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
The first book is one of the best...I agree.

/tangent

Same thing happened with "Wizard's First Rule", outstanding first book, the series falls off a bit after that.

NewJeffCT

First Post
The first book is one of the best...I agree.

/tangent

Same thing happened with "Wizard's First Rule", outstanding first book, the series falls off a bit after that.

The drop-off after Wizard's First Rule was far more precipitous, IMHO. I also thought at least some of Goodkind's ideas seemed to be derivative of Jordan. (the main characters (Richard/Rand) practically being demigods, but having humble beginnings, Richard having to wear a collar, similar to the Seanchan a'dam...Sisters of the Light/Children of the Light, etc)

NewJeffCT

First Post
OK, I'm about 80% of the way through A Memory of Light.
I just read the part Egwene died taking out M'Hael with her new Flame of Tar Valon weave. Got a bit misty eyed over her death.
Wow, this book is really moving at a breakneck pace - probably more action in this one book than books 7-11 combined. Somebody above hit it on the head, though. I don't think they'll be able to wrap everything up by the end of the book in a satisfying manner. They probably could have broken the final book into two volumes, or maybe the final two books into three?

Remove ads