• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Find the Anime Challenge

Raven Crowking

First Post
Umbran said:
So, let's make a deal (okay, not so much a deal, as an order) - one side can stop calling others ignorant, and the other can back off on demands of rigor and burden of proof.

I am not sure which side is which here, though, so perhaps it would be best if both sides stopped calling others ignorant, and backed off on demands of rigor and burden of proof?

RC

BASHMAN

Basic Action Games
Hussar said:
There's no universality to this. I'm not trying to prove anything. I'm just showing, quite well IMO, that those who claim the strong anime influences in D&D art don't really know what they're talking about. Is there an anime influence? Quite probably. But, no more so than the influence of anime on any other pop media.

Yet, we never hear people make that complaint. "D&D art is SO Marvel Comics" "D&D art looks too much like Frank Miller" are just things that so called critics never say. No, it's "D&D art is anime crap". Even when it's not.

I never heard the argument that anime influenced D&D art until I saw this thread! Btw, hilarious thread.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Hussar said:
One decent example. Only one. Out of all the art to choose from.

Indeed. I think you might be the first person to hands-down win an internet arguement :) I mean, I think I've seen more than anyone's fair share of anime art and I'd even be hard-pressed to consider that one specifically anime-styled. Perhaps, 'influenced'.

Raven Crowking

First Post
How about this, from the Rules Compendium?

110230.jpg

AllisterH

First Post
Raven Crowking said:
Some very strange body proportions:

110234.jpg

This looks like someone trying to ape Brom and I agree, that body is damn elongated...Still that doesn't seem "anime" to me as such weird body length seems more like one artist's style.

That said, the first picture with the ice demon (?) in the ice caves is to me, has a clear manga influence.

areola

First Post
This is a very good thread. Now as an Asian, I actually hate Anime based drawings. I feel its too overrated. I prefer good old western style fantasy art. Going through the pages of this thread made me realize how many anime-influenced art are actually around in DnD. Damn. 2nd ed art was the best in my opinion.

And whats with Mialee? Is she meant to be an Ugly hero? Even with charisma 8, which is pretty average for a commoner, her pics are really horrid. Aren't there suppose to be no ugly elves?

Remove ads