• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Find the Anime/Video games in 4e

DonTadow

First Post
TwinBahamut said:
Also of note is that, in many videogame RPGs such as the Final Fantasy series, characters don't ever die. They get temporarily wounded or disabled, but they don't actually die in battle. In the heavily anime-influenced Suikoden series, there are rare occasions when a character can actually die (rather than just get wounded), and characters who die this way can never come back. There is one exception to this, but it involves the alignment of 108 Stars of Destiny and the power of two godlike True Runes.

I think D&D can benefit a lot from more Fire Emblem and Suikoden influence. I don't see it yet, though.
I wouldn't say characters never die. Characters die all the tmie in those games, the story just doesn't move on if you die. You could very well get tired of being killed by the same boss, and stop playing the game.
This one might be a winner - I think respec is a great idea, but I can't think of any source for this other than videogames. Anyone with experience in lots of different RPG systems care to chime in

Sorry, still nothing that hasn't been heard before in the world of rpgs. You may have seen this first in the phb2 but there is a variant in the arcana unearthed book (realeased for 3.0) that gave a way to redo a character in game. I'd also go as far as to say is this is purely a tabletop rpg request. i can't think of one mmorpg that allows you to swap out your current class, completely (not just multiclass). The closest i can think is ffxi which only allows you to start in a completely new class and you still can only draw on some of the other class.

I'd say the new per encounter rules also stem from an rpg problem needing a solution than an rpg taking from a video game for marketing purposes. RPGs just never made sense time wise. In actuality, your average delve in a dungeon lasts 3 minutes. DMs have forever taken luxieries and played with "time" (oh a 20 on a search, that's a half hour... yet a regular search is a few seconds. ) It's real difficult to do actual (this needs to happen in a certain amount of time) and not fudge a heck of a lot. If I worked as hard as a typical dandd character my boss would wonder why i need an eight hour break every one hour of work. Since I have DM'd i have only had pcs sleep in a dungeon maybe 6 times and not in a year since. And i think the only reason they slept in that dungeon was because of a couple of old school players whom didn't want to use the varients. The result has been better dungoen designs with more action and less of a typical dungeon feel.

There have been tons of variations and mods for this is dungeons and dragons since 2nd edition. Skill based spell variants, replenishing spell points (which i have used in my game for 3 years) and

Rechan

Adventurer
IanB said:
AFAIK the first appearance of the "respec" in D&D is the XPH in the form of the 'psychic reformation' power, well after it had existed in MMOs. .
Which MMOs existed prior to the XPH?

bonethug0108

First Post
IanB said:
AFAIK the first appearance of the "respec" in D&D is the XPH in the form of the 'psychic reformation' power, well after it had existed in MMOs.

However before 3E, D&D didn't really have anything *to* respec, of course. Spells in your spellbook if you were at the cap for your int is the only thing that I can think of that anyone might want to respec. Maybe powers in the 2E implementation of psionics.

I'll concede this one, too.

Though one could argue that a dm could allow a player to change his choice on some aspect of his character, and that could have happened since the beginning of d&d.

But the actually in game use of respec-ing and mechanic of it was not there.

AllisterH

First Post
Rechan said:
Except that Capa Ferro is a foreign language. What does it mean when it's translated into English? It could mean "Eye-Gouging Sissy Punch" with a pretty name.

Good point. I mean, everyone on this board has head the term "Hadouken".

However, if you translated that, it means, "Wave Motion Fist" similarly, Shoryuken, another 1 word term familiar to people actually translates as "Rising Dragon Fist/Punch"

Lightning Panther Strike translated to japanese would be written in English as a combination of shuurai which means "Lightning Strike" and hyuu which is panther.

Grant Morrisson in DC introduced a Chinese super-hero team and he played with this convetion so you get this long as English translation "August Man in Iron" where as the chinese simply call him "Zyufu".

Mercule

Adventurer
Rechan said:
Except that Capa Ferro is a foreign language. What does it mean when it's translated into English? It could mean "Eye-Gouging Sissy Punch". But because it's foreign, it sounds nice. The various oriental maneuvers like Swallow Snatches the Cricket or something sounds really nice in its native tongue, because it's usually two words that have various inflections with the syllables, but sounds clunky when translated into English.

True. But it sounds good for a pseudo-Medieval History game. Oriental words don't sound right for the genre I'm looking for and that I think D&D must support (it can support others, but psuedo-Europe is a bare minimum).

My guess is that it means something like "Iron Head". But that isn't what it is. It sounds like Latin. For all I care, it could be random syllables that have no intrisic meaning, but sound Latiny. That fits the genre.

I'm a huge, huge proponent of having named fighting styles in D&D. I'm very much opposed to any name that would sound better coming from a pajama-clad open-handed fighter than from an armored knight or rapier-wielding swashbuckler.

My D&D has absolutely no room for characters who adventure in pajamas.

To your "Bonetti's Defense", there was even complaints about things like Ridley's Gambit in PHBII in how it had a Guy's name, and thus that means that That Guy must exist in your campaign because the feat name is there.

I respectfully disagree with them. I would assume they also have a problem with "Mordenkain's Disjunction". Now, "Lo Pan's Defense," I would have an issue with. That is as out of place in D&D as "Franco's Riposte" would be in Legend of Five Rings.

bonethug0108

First Post
Rechan said:
Doug McCrae's argument is not "D&D is becoming a videogame because it's taking Raise Dead from a video game" but "Raise Dead has always been there, and that's more cheap and un-fantasy and un-story driven than anything that could be taken from Video games now. Raise Dead has always given D&D a video-game like tone of death being cheap and easy to fix."

Saying that is unfair to video games, though, because they got it from d&d. You could say video games feel like a cheap version of d&d, but not vice versa because of that.

hero4hire

Explorer
Doug McCrae said:
The most videogame-y element of all in D&D is the ease with which a PC can return from death due to the raise dead spell and other magical means.

I suspect raise dead will be a higher level spell in 4e than it has been in previous editions.

Raise Dead wont be a spell in 4e. It will be a 'Ritual.'

Scribble

First Post
Mercule said:
True. But it sounds good for a pseudo-Medieval History game. Oriental words don't sound right for the genre I'm looking for and that I think D&D must support (it can support others, but psuedo-Europe is a bare minimum).

Why? Any other reason then personal preference?

My guess is that it means something like "Iron Head". But that isn't what it is. It sounds like Latin. For all I care, it could be random syllables that have no intrisic meaning, but sound Latiny. That fits the genre.

if it's Portuguese then babelfish says it means layer iron...

I'm a huge, huge proponent of having named fighting styles in D&D. I'm very much opposed to any name that would sound better coming from a pajama-clad open-handed fighter than from an armored knight or rapier-wielding swashbuckler.

My D&D has absolutely no room for characters who adventure in pajamas.

Again why? Personal preference?

(Also I think that's kind of insulting to an entire culture and its traditions...

I respectfully disagree with them. I would assume they also have a problem with "Mordenkain's Disjunction". Now, "Lo Pan's Defense," I would have an issue with. That is as out of place in D&D as "Franco's Riposte" would be in Legend of Five Rings.

Again with the why?

Rechan

Adventurer
Mercule said:
Except that I would argue that D&D has never been a very good Generic Medieval Europe Fantasy Roleplaying Game. It's just been D&D.

And just because there is stuff in there that doesn't Fit in European Fantasy 101 doesn't mean that it can't support Generic European Fantasy Roleplaying Game.

Case in point being the Barbarian. Is there any instance in Europe of guys leaping on other people's backs and biting them, or clawing at their face? Does that sound like the Goths? As I said earlier, the Barbarian is more feral, and emulates animals (I'm guessing that the Barbarian will have Totems, like the UA barbarians). So it makes sense that they would have attacks named after animals.

How about the Druid, hippies who shapechanged into bears and lions? Not very European fantasy there. The Celts' didn't exactly have a lot of "And then he became an alligator and ate the enemy's face" legends.

So, I'm pretty sure you can have European Fantasy 101 and not have too much of a broken vermisilitude if you remove the Druid and Barbarian.

Remove ads