• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Finding the best cartoon of all time

Laurel

First Post
A different thread got me to thinking of those long gone days of cartoon express. Over the years I have found myself defending certain old ones and critizing certain new ones, and so I ask:

What would you vote best 80's cartoon?
What would you claim is the best 90's cartoon?
Are there any good ones from the 70's? :D
What about the best cartoon of all time?

And just to add another one in: What decade/era do you think had the best cartoon's?

ddvmor

I'm a little teapot!
70's - Nope sorry. No good cartoons in the 70's!
80's - Dangermouse
90's - Transformers Beast Wars (does cgi count?)

I can't think of any really good ones in the last few years, although, Gerry Anderson is currently working on a CGI Captain Scarlet that could be good.

Last edited:

Mallus

Legend
Best individual cartoon of all time: What's Opera Doc?

Very, very close second: Simpson's Monorail episode

Best show/series of all time: Bugs Bunny/Looney Tunes

Very, very close second: The Simpsons.

Best 1990's show: Neon Genesis Evangelion

Best 1980's show: Thundercats

Best 1970's show: Now where did I put my bong? --Err, let me think about that... maybe Wacky Racers or Stop that Pidgeon... or the ABC show where Noah was played by Yogi Bear and the Ark had a huge helicopter rotor...

Laurel

First Post
ddvmor said:
70's - Nope sorry. No good cartoons in the 70's!
80's - Dangermouse
90's - Transformers Beast Wars (does cgi count?)

I can't think of any really good ones in the last few years, although, Gerry Anderson is currently working on a CGI Captain Scarlet that could be good.
Considering the direction of cartoons going CGI I think we have to include them.

Captain Scarlet- good you say? Have to google info. on that one. When does it come out?

WayneLigon

Adventurer
70's: Pink Panther, various Warner re-runs (even chopped as they were)
80's: Thundaar the Barbarian
90's: Animaniacs, narrowly beating out Freakazoid and The Tick.

So many cool things came out of Animaniacs, Freakazoid, and the early Warner stuff that I can't think of what would make the best cartoon of all time to me. 'What's Opera Doc' is certainly one of the top five. 'One Froggy Evening' is in there. 'Les Miseranimals', where the cast of Rita and Runt do the musical 'Les Miserables' is right up there.

Laurel

First Post
WayneLigon said:
70's: Pink Panther, various Warner re-runs (even chopped as they were)
80's: Thundaar the Barbarian
90's: Animaniacs, narrowly beating out Freakazoid and The Tick.

So many cool things came out of Animaniacs, Freakazoid, and the early Warner stuff that I can't think of what would make the best cartoon of all time to me. 'What's Opera Doc' is certainly one of the top five. 'One Froggy Evening' is in there. 'Les Miseranimals', where the cast of Rita and Runt do the musical 'Les Miserables' is right up there.
Looking at your avatar I thought you would go with teen titan- or batman somehow.... why not?

EDIT: If it's because I didn't include 2000 in there sorry! :eek: I figured 4 years wasn't enough time to get a true feel of what the new toons will be like.

Last edited:

Mallus

Legend
Is Thundarr 70's or 80's?

Damn, I forgot all about Batman: the Animated Series...

Mad Love might be better than Monorail...

I also loved the ep. of Superman with Gilbert Gottfreid voicing Mr. Myxlplyk [sp??!!]...

MEG Hal

First Post
70's Hong Kong Phooey/ Jonny Quest
80's Thundarr/ G-Force (Battle of the Planets)
90's Batman TAS/Animaniacs
00's JLU, Fairly Odd Parents
Of all time--uncut classic WB cartoons

*I did work for WB for a bit so I may be impartial

The Serge

First Post
This is tough because there are different cartoon genres.

For the 80s in action, I'd go with The Transformers and the first two seasons of G.I. Joe. I can't think of any original satires or comdies for the time.

For the 90s, in action I'd go with Batman: The Animated Series with the Adventures of Batman and Superman a close second. For satire/comedy, I'd go with Animaniacs with Freakazoid another close second.

Remove ads